82 650GL Exhaust Gasket/packing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650GL Exhaust Gasket/packing

I was looking through the stuff on Bikecliff's site and saw there is a on replacing the exhaust gasket/packing, which can get old and leaky, apparently. I'm going to take a look at mine tonight, but looking through the parts fiche @ bikebandit, there isn't a listing for that part. In the doc on Bass's site, it's part # 8, called an exhaust connector. On the fiche for my bike, there's simply nothing listed there in that spot. Do the GL exhausts just not have those?

Originally posted by spadefoot View Post
    I was looking through the stuff on Bikecliff's site and saw there is a on replacing the exhaust gasket/packing, which can get old and leaky, apparently. I'm going to take a look at mine tonight, but looking through the parts fiche @ bikebandit, there isn't a listing for that part. In the doc on Bass's site, it's part # 8, called an exhaust connector. On the fiche for my bike, there's simply nothing listed there in that spot. Do the GL exhausts just not have those?
    Why worry about this till you get #3 cylinder firing correctly- a leaky exhaust gasket won't cause this.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Why worry about this till you get #3 cylinder firing correctly- a leaky exhaust gasket won't cause this.
      Well, mostly b/c, as a way of avoiding getting totally frustrated with the #3 cylinder problem, I putter around with some things I can actually fix sometimes. For instance, I fixed the gas gauge that hadn't worked since I bought the bike. Important? No. Relevant to my central problem? No. Does it make me feel a little better every time I look up from messing around with #3 and see a functioning gas readout? Yes. Perhaps that's not your approach or your style. I know myself (a little bit, anyway) and I tend to get frustrated after banging my head on something for a while, and having some other avenues to explore where I can actually get something accomplished helps. Differn't strokes for differn't folks, and all that.

Now that I've defended my philosophy of repair and troubleshooting, anyone out there have any info they can contribute?

Comment

Look up #2 on the muffler 14181-05010

Comment

Working...
        X