My '82 650 and the Mystery of the Hanging Airbox Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '82 650 and the Mystery of the Hanging Airbox Line

Since searches have proved somewhat fruitless, no manuals show a picture of the airbox in it's full glory (or, frankly, mention them), and I can't see what it goes to, my question is this:

My airbox (between the carbs and the filter box, to be clear) has got a breather line out the top, which connects to the valve covers, and a little shorty line (maybe six inches long) on the bottom. Which connects to the atmosphere. Since this is post-air filter, I'm having a difficult time imagining why there would be a line that opens directly into dusty air right above the road surface. Does this attach to something? Should it? Was it cut? Was it a crankcase breather or something? Is it possibly the reason my bike doesn't seem to like starting or idling?

For reference, the bike has had its valves adjusted, the air filter is properly clean and oiled, the intake boot o-rings have been replaced, its carbs thoroughly cleaned (my roommate seriously does this for a living, i.e., beer money) and the o-rings done, the coils are within tolerance, receiving 12 volts (with a jumper; that's another project) and the exhaust is tighter than Charlie Sheen and blow.

I haven't pulled the factory emissions plugs out to access the air screws, but that's happening tonight.

Could this mysterious hose be the root of all evil? You decide!

Most of the air boxes have a drain tube on the bottom of the air box. Sounds like what you are referring to..

Comment

It's a drain tube? Sigh. I guess swearing isn't really appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by JimWilling View Post
        ..., its carbs thoroughly cleaned (my roommate seriously does this for a living, i.e., beer money) and the o-rings done, ... I haven't pulled the factory emissions plugs out to access the air screws, but that's happening tonight.
        These two statements are at odds with each other.

If the carbs were THOROUGHLY cleaned and all the o-rings replaced, those plugs would already be out.

By the way, the hose is a drain hose. I have seen that on my 850s, but it was on the unfiltered side of the box.
        I do not have a 650 with an airbox for comparison.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 650 has a hole/spout on the bottom of the airbox as well. I always assumed it was a drain in case water got in there (condensation, perhaps?). It is on the "clean" side of the filter, as you say. I hadn't really considered the implications of that until just now...

Comment

My 450 has the same line, but its plugged, there should be a weird little cap on the end of it, at least in mine, its so that the gas returned from the breather line at the top drains into it and the vapors are reused in the engine iirc.

Comment

I'm with Steve

Go whack your room mate in the head and make him read the carb cleaning tutorial

He's not completely cleaning the carbs if the mixture screw is undisturbed

I'm guessing the emulsion tube isn't clean either, which is why it doesn't want to idle

All the GSes have some sort of airbox drain line. That's not the source of your troubles
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yet another case of "the carbs were cleaned". Wish I had a nickel for every time someone says that.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Yet another case of "the carbs were cleaned". Wish I had a nickel for every time someone says that.
                  hey hey sometimes the carbs were cleaned then they threw it all back together and forgot about it for 6 months to a year....

Comment

Working...
                  X