Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Carbs be this difficult to reinstall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the Carbs be this difficult to reinstall?

After 7mo of putting it off...I cleaned all of my carbs as instructed (except for carbuerator #3; the blasted float pin cannot be removed...I have given up.) And am attempting to place the assembly back on for a test fire. Except, its like they don't fit the flanges at all. Should I "warm" the flanges up with hot water to make 'em flexible? Or if they are this inflexible do I need new ones?

Sincerely,

Running into all kinds of little problems.

NO and YES

Comment

It's tough. You can use a heat gun to warm up the boots a little to help.

Comment

New boots would be nice and make life easy but IMHO if they are not split or cracked you can reuse them and get them to co-operate with the application of heat from the electric heat gun. A bit of silicone lube or WD40 in the throats helps too.

Have you had them off the head? If not you should pull them and replace the o-rings if they are fitted.

The easiest way to get them in is to put them in at an angle of about 30 degrees or so (from the horizontal) and lever them up and in while pushing forward. I find a long handled screw driver or pry bar anchored on the engine case by the rear motor mount provides leverage and helps to pop them in.

Good luck. Its fiddly the first time you do it but once you get it you'll have the technique for the next time(s).

spyug

Comment

Protip, if you do take the boots off to replace the orings for the boots, get some new allen head stainless steel bolts for it and use never sieze. Also, soak the **** out of the oem philips head bolts with PB Blaster for about an hour. It makes it loads easier.

Comment

Why couldn't you remove that float pin? How would you have thoroughly cleaned all the carbs without doing that? Sorry, but you may want to go back to work on that pin so you can get the floats off and clean that carb CORRECTLY BEFORE trying to put the rack back on. Otherwise you'll be back here asking us why the bike doesn't run correctly
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

an easy way to get a rack of carbs back in is with a nylon ratchet strap string across back side of carbs and attach hooks to the frame infront of motor, pull the slack out and usually one or two ratchet click will pop them into place

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Why couldn't you remove that float pin? How would you have thoroughly cleaned all the carbs without doing that? Sorry, but you may want to go back to work on that pin so you can get the floats off and clean that carb CORRECTLY BEFORE trying to put the rack back on. Otherwise you'll be back here asking us why the bike doesn't run correctly
                and agree completely, where you located maybe someone close can help ya out

Comment

No, they are not easy to put back in the boots. I always spray a little something in the boots to lubricate them, like starting fluid (oh noes!) or something else that drys fairly quickly and won't ruin your engine, then some wiggling and muscle. I found the best position for putting the carbs on is to sit on the bike so I can grab each side of the carbs and apply even pressure to each side.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                    an easy way to get a rack of carbs back in is with a nylon ratchet strap string across back side of carbs and attach hooks to the frame infront of motor, pull the slack out and usually one or two ratchet click will pop them into place

I hope you're kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr View Post

I hope you're kidding.
                      nope works great and does no damage, heck of alot safer and faster then trying wiggle and rock you rack back into place, thats how things get effed up It is actually in one of my Honda service manuals. Same idea as this but around front of engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JxDcWqYhyA

Comment

Sounds like a good idea to me... On one rack I had to put a lump of word behind them and use frame as a lever.

Heat gun or hairdryer and some silicon spray does the world of good though.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I had forgotten to add my 2 cents about cleaning the carbs properly. You really do need to get that float out and clean that carb or you're going to have one carb that likley won't run right. It can't be that hard. I've had some tough ones too but if you use a 'drift" of approximately the same size and tap on the pin from one side it will move enough for you to grab with pliers and yank out. You can make a drift from a small screw driver shank.

Give it another go. You will be glad you did.

Good luck with it.
                          Spyug

Comment

Nobodies asked this so I will.Get new o rings? From here http://www.cycleorings.com/ ? If you didn't you should.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                              I had forgotten to add my 2 cents about cleaning the carbs properly. You really do need to get that float out and clean that carb or you're going to have one carb that likley won't run right. It can't be that hard. I've had some tough ones too but if you use a 'drift" of approximately the same size and tap on the pin from one side it will move enough for you to grab with pliers and yank out. You can make a drift from a small screw driver shank.

Give it another go. You will be glad you did.

Good luck with it.
                              Spyug
                              To add to that, I'm paranoid about breaking the posts, so I always soak it in carb cleaner first, and let it sit for a while before I tap it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X