Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Carbs be this difficult to reinstall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last new set of boots I bought just didn't line up correctly with the carb rack, and putting it together was a struggle. I used WD 40 and considerable foreplay.

It seems that the boots have relaxed and now the rack snaps in and out as it should.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Different bike

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
      Protip, if you do take the boots off to replace the orings for the boots, get some new allen head stainless steel bolts for it and use never sieze. Also, soak the **** out of the oem philips head bolts with PB Blaster for about an hour. It makes it loads easier.
      His bike doesn't have "O" rings or bolts on the boots.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Carbs

Threre's a guy in my town who only works on old bikes and I asked him what the trick is to getting the carbs back on the bike. He replied, "There isn't one."

Getting them back on my '80 GS750L was a miserable experience although I did notice that it got easier after doing it a couple of times. For some reason, it's much easier on my '80 GS1100E....even though the set-up is very similar.

HINT: When you reinstall the float pins, do so very gently; it's not possible for them to get out of place once the float bowl is reattached.
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-13-2011, 01:26 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
        X