whats next??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats next??

This bike ran fine before I did this. I rebuilt the carbs on my 80 gs1100 which means I soaked them in carb cleaner overnight, blew out all the passages, installed new orings from Mr. Barr, bench synced them, reinstalled them & now can't get the bike to idle.
    I have another set of carbs so I rebuilt them too, then did everything I did with the first set..............no difference. What is my next step? I was thinking manifolds are faulty or maybe valves.
    I'm not a novice & the carbs are set up correctly as far as adjustments go.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

How many turns out did you set the mixture screws?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Do you have stock jetting? Have you put the airbox back on?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

mains are 130. 4-1 & pods
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

bike ran best idle with mix screws out 3 1/2 turns.

Comment

That's too far out from what I've been told. But then again I don't know for sure. I would say do your valves, make sure you dont have any air leaks (intake boots and air box good), etc then resynch your carbs.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              bike ran best idle with mix screws out 3 1/2 turns.
              It's possible that you need to go up a size on the pilot jets. Then you won't have to turn out the idle mixture screws so much. Pods and pipes really make carb tuning fun, doesn't it?

How about a jet kit?

But wait. It ran OK before the carb rebuild? That would make it seem like something didn't go back together properly. Did you have any parts left over?

BassCliff

Comment

nope, no parts left over. If you re-read my post you will note that I put a second set of rebuilt carbs on the bike & no difference was noted. That's why I'm thinking manifolds.
                also, I checked & I did go up one size pilots.

Comment

are all the throttle plates sandwiched in the right place ? in case ones popped out and ridden up, that would mean one carb running way to high, it is possible, but hard . sounds more like a vac leak somewhere. is the throttle cable routed the same as before ? i.e not snarring up and getting pinched not allowing it to rest on the throttle stop.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                    nope, no parts left over. If you re-read my post you will note that I put a second set of rebuilt carbs on the bike & no difference was noted. That's why I'm thinking manifolds.
                    also, I checked & I did go up one size pilots.
                    Sorry. I always assume that new intake boots and intake O-rings are part of the protocol.

BassCliff

Comment

Throttle plates on both carb sets were fine.

no intake orings, Basscliff, gs1100

Comment

Working...
                      X