Pipe Wrapping and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe Wrapping and performance

I see people wrapping pipes to doll up a bike. I assume there is a signifigant gain form doing this.

Is that gain nullified when owners wrap an oem set of header pipes.
    Is the double walled nature of the pipe equal to or better than wrappingÉ

By wrapping the headers you keep the heat in the pipe = hotter gases, which means they escape quicker=better gas flow, more fuel in/more fuel out=higher performance. plus you dont burn your self so easy when you drop the bike !!!

Comment

there is no proven fact that exhaust wrap improves performance. plus the fact it looks so dam ugly
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

agreed, it looks ugly, but the fact is the hotter the gas in the pipe , the quicker it needs to escape, hot air balloons will not fly on cold air..

Comment

Originally posted by janner View Post
          agreed, it looks ugly, but the fact is the hotter the gas in the pipe , the quicker it needs to escape, hot air balloons will not fly on cold air..
          engines use forced pressure to expel gasses, balloons use atmospheric pressure
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by janner View Post
            By wrapping the headers you keep the heat in the pipe = hotter gases, which means they escape quicker=better gas flow, more fuel in/more fuel out=higher performance. plus you dont burn your self so easy when you drop the bike !!!
            Technically correct, but probably so small as to be not measurable

Especially since you pipes go down and heat rises
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Pipe wrapping doesnt provide enough exhaust scavenging gain to be worth the effort. And theres plenty of proof that thermal shielding provides performance gains. Wrapps worked best, one when there wasnt much else, and in hotrod engine conpartments. Keeping the heat out of the compartment aided in keep fuel cooler before leaving the carb bowls, keep heat off the block and lessened preignition and kept the drivers compartment cooler. On a bike, not so much. If youre looking for noticeable gains from thermal blocking and exhaust scavenging, Id suggest a ceramic/metallic coating like the ones from TechLine.

Comment

Wrapping headers covers rust.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Wrapping headers covers rust.
                  And creates rust due to "sweating" Oh like its been said before, dam ugly.

Comment

I had an extremely ugly set of V&H pipes that I was going to throw in the bin. I painted them with VHT Flame Proof. Still using them. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                    X