Gs1000 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000 carbs

my Gs1085s fires up easley will only run on 3 cylinders we have so far replaced dynas ignt
    for a Boyer ignition set it up, coils green dyna 3ohm, dyna leads tried 3 sets of plugs
    so it isnt them checked compresion over the four pots it averages out 170psi on each cylinder.
    just had valve shims checked and sorted.
    still no differance so is there something stuck i ask in the fuel ways in the number 2 carb which is stopping it to work as we have checked jets sprayed no end of carb cleaner in there.
    help please as would like to ride it before the summmer end been told to try coca cola or vineger in the carb,wot do you guys think.

Have you checked that you haven't had a spark plug go down? You tried that!

Is the one not firing wet or dry?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM. Reason: Not reading the original post.

Comment

all 4 plug are black but dry and we tried 3 differant new sets and changed them round m8

Comment

Try tapping the float bowl on number 2 Steve - float might be stuck. If that doesn't work you're going to have to pull the carbs and give them a thorough seeing to.

Coke and vinegar are old wive's tales by the way.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
          been told to try coca cola or vineger in the carb,wot do you guys think.
          I think it would run better on petrol.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I'm impressed - didn't think you guys knew what petrol was. Though you seem to be able to get your bikes to run on stuff that we pull out of the North Sea and burn on a cooking hob (gas).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

as we have checked jets sprayed no end of carb cleaner in there.
              And there lies the problem, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but squirting magic juice in there, in any quantities just ain't going to do it.
              You need to pull the crbs off, strip, dip and clean properly, there is really no short cut, plain and simple.
              There is a full write up and picutre, step by step tutorial on Basscliff's site.
              Replace all the O-Rings from Robert Barr here on the forum, www.cycleorings.com and don't bother with the overpriced carb kits from the vendors, and don't forget the O-Pings between the carb rubbers and the head.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                yer but you pay £1.38 ltr for the crap fuel we get here these day (wink)

Comment

You are suffering from several problems:

1. Your friends are bonkers and know nothing about carburettors
                  1a. You are listening to them
                  2. You need a full cleaning as noted above -pilot jets are probably clogged
                  3. If your bike has BS series carbs, the petcock may be leaking fuel into the carb and motor. Is your oil overfilled? Does it smell of gas?

All of these issues com up repeatedly here
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    You are suffering from several problems:

1. Your friends are bonkers and know nothing about carburettors
                    1a. You are listening to them
                    2. You need a full cleaning as noted above -pilot jets are probably clogged
                    3. If your bike has BS series carbs, the petcock may be leaking fuel into the carb and motor. Is your oil overfilled? Does it smell of gas?

All of these issues com up repeatedly here
                    fuel tap is a pingel ,carbs are vm28s and no theres no smell of petrol in the oil.
                    my source of imfo come from suzuki owners club Tec officer who knows more about suzukis
                    most of us will never even think about knowing.
                    next please.

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
                      fuel tap is a pingel ,carbs are vm28s and no theres no smell of petrol in the oil.
                      my source of imfo come from suzuki owners club Tec officer who knows more about suzukis
                      most of us will never even think about knowing.
                      next please.
                      Does he drink petrol when he's thirsty?

I don't know how it is in Merry Olde, but here in the States we put sugar in the gas tank to clog up the fuel system as vandalism. Sugar water isn't any different

If he's referring to the mild acidic content of Coke, which is shared by vinegar, that has zero effect on petrol residue. It will remove any rust you might have in there if you leave it in for a couple of days.

If he's that smart, he would have told you what we told you - strip and clean your carbs
                      Last edited by Big T; 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

got told another one earlier lemmon juice,but think best way is a strip down and a good
                        dunk in me m8s sonic cleaner maybe better idea.
                        Thanks
                        steve

Comment

Hi,

To continue the process of elimination;

Are you getting good spark in all four cylinders? Installing new plug caps can help ensure a healthy spark. Which cylinder is not firing?

Let me make sure I'm all caught up.

1. You've tested for good compression on all four.

2. Ensure you are getting good spark on all four. If so...

3. It must be fuel related. Everything starts with clean carbs. Usually you just have to completely disassemble them, then dip the carb bodies and all the metal bit in parts cleaner for up to 24 hours. Then squirt a little carb cleaner through all the passages followed by compressed air. This will ensure all of the internal carb passages are clear.

I've even heard of the main jets vibrating out and sitting in the bottom of the float bowl. The carb doesn't work too well when that happens. You just don't know until you've taken them all apart for a good cleaning and inspection. Have you replaced all the rubber O-rings and pilot jet plugs in your carbs? The original 30 year old rubber will decompose after time.

Yes, a sonic cleaner is a good idea. Make sure all of the screws, jets, needles, and other miscellaneous bits are removed from the carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Steve, lemon juice is slow, sticky and messy.

The best way we can clean them over here is to soak in cellulose thinners for a few hours (all rubber / plastic parts removed) and then boil in a saucepan with a single drop of Fairy Liquid in the water (no more than a drop or it'll end up all over the kitchen floor). You only need to boil for a few minutes.

Note: wife has to be out shopping for this to be safe (and never use the pan for cooking again unless you like the taste of petrol).

Sonic cleaners are good but have their limitations - a recent thread:
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Hi,

... and then boil in a saucepan with a single drop of Fairy Liquid in the water (no more than a drop or it'll end up all over the kitchen floor).

Ha! I had to look that up to see if you were serious. I learned that Fairy Liquid is a brand of liquid dish soap there in the UK.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X