Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a Tank with no vacuum port on the petcock. Will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a Tank with no vacuum port on the petcock. Will it work?

Whats up guys. I was wondering if you absolutly need the vacuum petcock to work with a gs550 motor or could i use a petcock with only a open and close? My tanks off a 69 triumph thats why i was asking. Thanks gents

Jeff

Sure. Its just simple gravity. Id try to remember to turn it off when you park it.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Be sure to cap the vacuum port on the carb for the petcock
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Perfect. Thanks guys.

Comment

It'll work fine as long as you have a perfectly infallible brain and always, always, always turn it off when stopped.

The float needles on a GS are not designed to hold back a tankful of gas. They'll make it through a lunch stop OK, but over a day or two they'll slowly seep gas into your carbs which will overflow and trickle into your engine. And that's very, very ungood.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I left my gs850 on prime and filled up the cylinders with gas. I didn't think too much of it. The gas in turn made its way into the oil and the vapors when hot lit up my airbox on my first test ride this year. (YES FIRE!) It was not fun. I almost burned up the whole bike!!

Comment

geez I was a little to late... Put it on open tried to fire her up no dice, battery died, went back inside and had diner, came out and gas was dripping out of my carb... lol guess ill order one for a gs550... anyone know what thread size / pitch the suzuki uses??

Comment

Working...
              X