Choke help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke help

Okay, so i've got my 83 gs550esd running fairly well after it being given to me from sitting for 10 years... Shortly i will be riding once i pay the backed registration ($500 screw u dmv)... But im very puzzled on my choke..

So when the bike has been running for awhile and i put the choke on it doesn't die, But it doesn't rev up. it will only rev up if i give it throttle... So lets put it this way.. Say with choke fully on my bike revs at 3500.. it will only rev there if i give it throttle...

But with the bike cold it barely wants to run on full choke and won't rev above 1000 without throttle until it warms up some... But it doesn't bog when i give it gas...

So with full choke it just sits at 1000 rpms kinda puttering like it's gonna die on me...

Any ideas?

Carbs have been cleaned etc, i've tuned it using my own method (mix of highest idle and spark plug checking and riding / listening to the motor) it has 1 step bigger jets (i think 1 step?!?! im running 107.5 and 102.5 as to 102.5 and 95) So im very perplexed as to why when my choke is on it won't waise the idle.

Another thing to add, when it's cold and i give it throttle, lets say i hold the throttle at 4000 rpms and take the choke off, it will bog out and die... Maybe this is normal.. not sure... but when she is cold and i take hte choke off i can't give it any throttle else it dies.

Comment

When you cleaned the carbs, did you fully disassemble and dip each carb body and jets for 24 hours? Did you run the special tool through each orifice on every jet? Spray out all orifices with carb cleaner and compressed air?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Clean the float bowls again and the choke pick up tubes. One or t'other is blocked.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I cleaned the carbs thoroughly and cleaned the jets... The bike runs great once it warms up...

I cleaned both choke cables where they enter on the tops of the carbs again today with so compressed air and throttle body cleaner. It didn't make a difference.. So im still stuck on why it isn't idling up by itself...

Where are the choke pick-up tubes or what exactly are you referring too?

Comment

You've got some brass tubes that hang on the underside of the carb inside the float bowls. make sure that they are clean. Plus these tubes sit in their own part of the float bowl; make sure that this is clean - squirt something thorugh there to make sure.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Not cables
              The brass tube that goes into the float bowl is where the choke picks up fuel. The choke jet itself it in the float bowl. Both need cleaned.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ok, you say brass tube, on my siamese carbs i see no brass tube that is for the choke... I only see the 2 mains, and 2 pilots on each carb body...

Comment

Why don't you post a picture of the bowl side of your carbs.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

after looking at another set of siamese carbs i had hanging aroudn i found what your talking about... So i cleaned out the ones on the bike made sure all the choke pick-ups were clear... same thing -.- Sigh.

Ok so, if i start the bike (it usually fires right up but gotta give a little throttle now) and rev it at like 2000 for about 1 min than the choke works fine.. on full choke it revs up and works....
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

You have to clean the float bowls as well as the tubes. 9 times out of 10 it's the bowl that gets fouled up.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Okay.. So after spraying some throttle body cleaner through the carb pick-up and running some seafoam through it too.. it is better... It starts good and idles about 1200 on full choke, If i touch the throttle it dies... So i have to let it sit for 20-30 seconds then i picks up rpms to about 2000 and it's good to go!!!

Sweet.. now to come up with $500 for back reg -.-

Comment

Originally posted by David_510 View Post
                          I cleaned the carbs thoroughly and cleaned the jets... The bike runs great once it warms up...

I cleaned both choke cables where they enter on the tops of the carbs again today with so compressed air and throttle body cleaner. It didn't make a difference.. So im still stuck on why it isn't idling up by itself...

Where are the choke pick-up tubes or what exactly are you referring too?
                          By thoroughly, do you mean a can of carb cleaner and air? If so you HAVE to soak em overnight. The carb cleaner can't get all the gunk that varnishes up the small passages. Sounds like the choke circuit isn't really cleaned up. Did you do all the carb related maintenance in the mega welcome? Carb boot o-rings?

Comment

Working...
                          X