Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFI Conversion Hurdle: The Fuel Pump - One possible Solution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFI Conversion Hurdle: The Fuel Pump - One possible Solution.

I am currently captivated with the idea of converting a recently aquired 1977 GS750 to fuel injection. Im confident i can adapt a set of GSXR600 or GPz1100 throttle bodies, rebuild the harness to include a Microsquirt EMS computer, and modify the fuel tank for a return-type high pressure fuel system.

The single hurdle i have been unable to resolve as of yet is the fuel pump. It is my intent that this retrofit be totally reversable should i desire to revert to the original mikuni setup (perhaps for resell value at a later date). As a result i have discarded the idea of canabalizing the near perfect fuel tank in order to adapt a modern in-tank fuel pump. I therefore have been searching for a suitable inline fuel pumps.

Unfortunately the only production motorcycles that i am aware of that were equipped with external pumps from the factory were GPz1100s and GSXR1300. These pumps seem to be extremely rare and/or hideously expensive from the manufacturer ($450 for a GPZ pump!).

The only viable option then is to find the smallest available car/truck inline external fuel pump. Unfortunately the smallest i have been able to located is a Walbro GSL393 which flows 155 L/hr @ 40psi and draws 5A at that rate. Not only is that WAY more fuel that is requried to fuel an 80hp 750 motor but that's also more current than i would like to allocated for the fueling system.

So here is my proposal:
    Simply reduce the operating voltage to the fuel pump using a high efficiency switch-mode power supply. Similar to the power transformers that power modern laptops. I can build an ~90% efficient SMPS based on simple, commonly available components to step 15V down to a lower voltage to input to the GSL393.

Take a look at the flow/pressure/current curve provided by Walbro (below).

If im not mistaken, i should be able to adjust the input voltage until 3A is drawn by the pump, at which point it will flow 57L/Hr (15GPH), more than enough for my application, and 3A is more feasible with the GSs (feable) alternator.

Thoughts?
    -Zander

Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2011, 12:47 PM.

Interesting, a mod ive always been interested in watching unfold

Comment

What about from a V65 magna. They had a fuel pump that was inline external of the tank. Maybe modify something like that for your purposes?

#1 is the pump.

Fuel comes down from tank through #4 fuel filter into pump.

Round $100 new or there seem to be some floating around on ebay.

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Not sure of the pressure it could provide but it may ba an option.

Comment

The fuel pumps used to fill carbs are low pressure, and you can get 2 kinds of those at autozone (can't remember the psi).

You should be able to make a secondary fuel holding tank just for mounting your standard in-tank efi fuel pump. It would basically be a well-sealed vertical cylinder (4" wide?) sitting downhill from the gas tank.

I hope you realize that any modern throttle body is HUGE compared to a GS750 intake tract. That may play havoc with the efi. A later GS850/1000/1100 (8 valve) head has much bigger ports, and work better.

Comment

I used a generic riding lawnmower inline pump on my 69 vw bug which required a lower flow rate/psi than any other 12v pump I had found. $20 online.

Comment

I have a 1980 GS 750 that I've mixed up with a 02 R6 I have the motor out to finish fab and paint on the frame and I remember I have a set of R1 fuel injected throttle body and it fits so if I get an aftermarket power commander can I make this work

Comment

When I used to build Kit cars the "go to" for people converting from carbs to FI was to use a pump/accumulator etc assembly from a Golf GTI..... One of the older models I believe, Mark 2 or Mark 3 something like that.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You could use the 650 Bandit.

I have 1250 Bandit on my 1260 Kat, the throttle bodies fit.

4 years commuting.

IMG_1652 - Copy1.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

Adapted 1250 bandit pump.

IMG_4949 - Copy.jpg

Comment

enter atleast 15 cahracters
                      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

If the link works you might get some ideas, I am using the standard Bandit ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by the_zander View Post
                            I am currently captivated with the idea of converting a recently aquired 1977 GS750 to fuel injection. Im confident i can adapt a set of GSXR600 or GPz1100 throttle bodies, rebuild the harness to include a Microsquirt EMS computer, and modify the fuel tank for a return-type high pressure fuel system.

The single hurdle i have been unable to resolve as of yet is the fuel pump. It is my intent that this retrofit be totally reversable should i desire to revert to the original mikuni setup (perhaps for resell value at a later date). As a result i have discarded the idea of canabalizing the near perfect fuel tank in order to adapt a modern in-tank fuel pump. I therefore have been searching for a suitable inline fuel pumps.

Unfortunately the only production motorcycles that i am aware of that were equipped with external pumps from the factory were GPz1100s and GSXR1300. These pumps seem to be extremely rare and/or hideously expensive from the manufacturer ($450 for a GPZ pump!).

The only viable option then is to find the smallest available car/truck inline external fuel pump. Unfortunately the smallest i have been able to located is a Walbro GSL393 which flows 155 L/hr @ 40psi and draws 5A at that rate. Not only is that WAY more fuel that is requried to fuel an 80hp 750 motor but that's also more current than i would like to allocated for the fueling system.

So here is my proposal:
                            Simply reduce the operating voltage to the fuel pump using a high efficiency switch-mode power supply. Similar to the power transformers that power modern laptops. I can build an ~90% efficient SMPS based on simple, commonly available components to step 15V down to a lower voltage to input to the GSL393.

Take a look at the flow/pressure/current curve provided by Walbro (below).

If im not mistaken, i should be able to adjust the input voltage until 3A is drawn by the pump, at which point it will flow 57L/Hr (15GPH), more than enough for my application, and 3A is more feasible with the GSs (feable) alternator.

Thoughts?
                            -Zander

For EFI it's not flow it is pressure you need, more specifically 43PSI is the normal for EFI bikes.
                            Last edited by GSX1100 dreamn; 10-19-2023, 12:48 PM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

Working...
                            X