Bogs after it's warm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Thank you Nic. Please pardon my confusion about which jets we were speaking of.

I was obviously talking about the main fuel jets.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

OK, so I went to the dealer. THey everything but a 42.5 for the pilot. So, I had to order them. They were $10 for 4 of them.

Just a quick question though. The description was KBS30/96 #42.5. These are the ones I need, right? The direct Suzi was 8 bucks for one of them. Checked Mikuni catalog. Voila. There they were. Checked size and threading to a 40 mikuni. I just hope I didn't buy the wrong thing.

Comment

How did you make out getting that stripped pilot jet out. I had 2 in my carbs and I just left them as is.

Comment

Left handed drill bits, heat, penetrating oil. I tried a torx, "hammer the screwdriver in" method, but in the end it was the heat and drill. And LOTS of patience. I did manage to strip the first layer of thread on it but I tested it afterwards with a spare jet to check for fit.
          I was having some idling problems. I knew I wanted it out to get it properly cleaned. I'd say if you aren't having any issues to just leave them in there. But if you start having problems, I'd look to get those out for sure. It would be best to get them out, of course. But the gamble you take is that you'll bugger up the body and have to track down a new body.

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. It would be nice to get them out but like you said, I could do more harm then good. Thanks and good luck with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by kelticsol View Post
              Left handed drill bits, heat, penetrating oil. I tried a torx, "hammer the screwdriver in" method, but in the end it was the heat and drill. And LOTS of patience. I did manage to strip the first layer of thread on it but I tested it afterwards with a spare jet to check for fit.
              I was having some idling problems. I knew I wanted it out to get it properly cleaned. I'd say if you aren't having any issues to just leave them in there. But if you start having problems, I'd look to get those out for sure. It would be best to get them out, of course. But the gamble you take is that you'll bugger up the body and have to track down a new body.

Should be the right jets.

Nic
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

If I ever make it out to visit my brother I'm going to try to meet up with you. He lives somewhere near KC. You deserve a Guinness or other beverage of your choice.

Edit instead of shameless bump:

I think I am going to try to replace the #1 Body. I stripped the top thread. THe jet still went in there and set fairly well but I'm thinking to much about it vibrating out or something worse. In the event that I sell this bike I don't want the next owner to have to deal with it if the pilot jet snaps again.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome the company

Keep talking to blowerbike. He'll set you up if he's got one.
                  83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

Pretty sure I have the new carb lined out.

Question regarding the dipping: After dipping in Berryman's, then dipping in hot water, then spraying it down with Carb Cleaner, I noticed some oxide inside the fuel inlet passage (The large holes on the side that feed towards the Needle and fill the bowls). I asked a car friend of mine what to do about this. His suggestion was to dip in kerosene. I have no access to an air compressor to really dry these out. I think the issue is when they dry they take too long and it allows the oxide to form.
                    I've also added a step to the process. I lightly sprayed some WD40 on the bodies and through the passages. I'll check the status of the last carb tonight when I get home.

Would a hair dryer work to dry these quicker?

Comment

There's a few threads on here talking about that same issue - seems to be worse on some carb bodies than others.

The Al/Zn material they're made out of seems to be prone to getting that white, chalky layer on them after exposure to the carb dip. Mine get it too, to varying degrees across the differnt carb bodies.

No "one-answer" as to how to remove or minimize it, but most here will simply wash the carbs throughly with soap & water after dipping. Spray with carb spray cleaner as well. You really should blast compressed air through all those passages to make sure they're clean too.

The WD40 coating seems like a good way to slow the surfaces form oxidizing - shouldn't hurt anything, the gas will just wash it away.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                        There's a few threads on here talking about that same issue - seems to be worse on some carb bodies than others.

The Al/Zn material they're made out of seems to be prone to getting that white, chalky layer on them after exposure to the carb dip. Mine get it too, to varying degrees across the differnt carb bodies.

No "one-answer" as to how to remove or minimize it, but most here will simply wash the carbs throughly with soap & water after dipping. Spray with carb spray cleaner as well. You really should blast compressed air through all those passages to make sure they're clean too.

The WD40 coating seems like a good way to slow the surfaces form oxidizing - shouldn't hurt anything, the gas will just wash it away.

Agree with hikermikem.

I don't have a compressor yet in the garage, but I do some computer work on the side, and had a few cans of air for dusting/cleaning, and it works in a pinch
                        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

I had some canned air. I also checked the carb spray I was using. It had Methanol in it. So, I bought some Gumout brand. Doesn't ontain any -ohol products that I can tell. Hopefully that will help some as well.

I'm going to hit it with the hair dryer to elp with the drying for now. I'm spraying all the orifices with carb spray. I wish I had an air compressor though.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

ya ditto.

C'MON FATHERS DAY GIFTS!!!!

83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

Fathers Day GIft it is. I am totally asking for that. The great thing is that I can probably buy it and hand my wife the receipt and that's what she'll say.

Anywho, got the new pilot jets in and bought some new plugs. Waiting on the carb body now. SHould be here tomorrow or Monday.

I'm getting amped to get this bike running. But I saw a new V-Strom. Man I've got to quit looking at this stuff. I was looking to check out a klr650 (I've wanted one for awhile) I was just window shopping. But I think I want a V Strom.

I also priced the DJ Stage 3 kit for the bike. 125, not too bad for a dealer. I'm thinking of doing this just to make tuning it simple. Or is this a bad idea being that I don't have pods on this. I got stock air box but no lid for it. Which throws another kink in the works about the rich conditions; now that I'm thinking about all this.

I did make up a fake lid for my airbox his last time and maybe that was my rich condition. But I didn't run it long enough to cause what I found in my case as far as the oil and gas mix.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

don't need a stage 3 unless pods/4-1.

for just a pipe, use a stage 1.

For mildly tuned machines using the stock airbox,
                                with stock or K&N filter. May also be used with a
                                good aftermarket exhaust system

Lid is often removed for more air flow.

Nic
                                83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

Working...
                                X