*need help jettin*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*need help jettin*

so i got an 81gs 550lx with pod filters and a free flowing exhaust. i bumped the jet size up from the 92.5 to 102.5s and she runs about as good as i would think it will run until i hit about 8k and it just flatlines there and wont turn any faster. i can burry the tach while the bikes in nuteral but i cant say the same while its in gear. they dont make a dynojet kit for it anymore and the local suzuki man (not stealership) is tryin to get me goin, hes been callin dynojet tryin to see if they can put me a kit together but its been a week and still no good news maybe someone here can point me i the right direction as to what to do next. thanks guys

Bigger main jet. Much bigger. A good 550 should be coming on like a JATO bottle at 8,000.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They still do the Dynojet kit - their part no 3314. It's listed for a 550 Katana and it'll fit your bike.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

katanas have the 2 dual throated carbs though i gave the 4 single carbs. BIGGER JET? i bumped the mains up 4 sizes? what size would you recommend?

Comment

Your main jet should be big enough to reach red line. Start with a 115.
          You are adding alot of air with the pipe and pods so you need to compensate the fuel to match.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by cody3935 View Post
            katanas have the 2 dual throated carbs though i gave the 4 single carbs. BIGGER JET? i bumped the mains up 4 sizes? what size would you recommend?
            That'll be a Katana that I have yet to find then. They don't have the Siamese carbs - they're the same as on your bike (4 individual BS cabs, all in a row).

You might of course be running rich - just depends on which pods you popped on and your exhaust. You can't assume anything when tuning carbs - you'll need to start at the beginning and work through it.

Either that or pop in that Katana Dynojet kit.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Here you go. 3108 and 3308 are for the GSX550 or as you guys know them the GS550 1983-86.

3314 fits the GS550M aka 550 Katana which has the same engine as you just wrapped up in Kat bodywork.

Develop a great plan for boosting your motorcycle’s performance by using our convenient, reliable motorcycle carburetor Jet Kits available online. Once you see these kits in action, it will become clear why they’re the products that started the Dynojet fuel tuning legacy. They’ll effortlessly increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range. Whether your bike is stock, heavily modified, or created for high-speed racing, our Jet Kits can tune your air/fuel ratio to perfection. Not only will our motorcycle Jet Kits drastically improve your performance, but they’ll also show immediate results. With an increased power output of 5-8% and a fully adjustable design, our kits are the perfect companions to any rider. Expand your vehicle’s performance capabilities today with them.

I've put in loads of 3314 kits for people who have boogered their performance by chucking the airbox. Does what it says on the packet.
              Last edited by hampshirehog; 05-20-2011, 05:34 PM.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

^^katana carbs?cuz those are my carbs

Comment

Originally posted by cody3935 View Post

^^katana carbs?cuz those are my carbs
                  Those don't look like Suzuki carbs
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Those don't look like Suzuki carbs
                    Agreed. Now we can play the game 'name the bike these carbs came from'.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

they look like older honda / ninja carbs..?

Comment

Regardless of jetting and what-bike-are-they-from...sure looks like they need to be torn down and cleaned FIRST

Comment

your right theyre probably not i just tried to find a picture to reference them

Comment

Finding what is stamped on the side of the carb body would be a good first step in figuring out where the carbs are from.

Comment

its not those exact carbs i just put that picture up to show you guys that mine are the 4 singles not the 2 Siamese ones

Comment

Working...
                              X