GS1100SD air box to carb boots ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100SD air box to carb boots ??

I just spent 2 hours hack sawing and cutting the rock hard boots & lock rings out of my airbox. My question is installing the rings that go inside the new boots, wow what a battle that was. Is there an easier way I dont know about ? I got them all back in but it was a fight to the finish ! I put them in from the outside with a screw driver but it was a half hour each. Every time you get one side in the other pops out.

Rings

I did that job and remember it was kind of tedious but I'm sure it didn't take me nearly that long. As I recall, I used 2 screwdrivers and just pushed them in a tiny little bit at a time.

I haven't thought of it since because I doubt, very much, if I'll ever have to do it again.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Pass on what you were doing but that should only take a couple of minutes - did some only yesterday on the 750 baby brother.

The trick is to squeeze them so that the ends overlap - they then pop in easily and expand back to size. No need for screwdivers.

Also, for removing old boots, throw the whole airbox in a sink of hot water (hotter the better), wait 5 minutes and the boots will have gone all rubbery soft again (only temporary while they are warm). Easy to just pull out then. Note you do need to use a screwdriver to prise out the old lock rings.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The 1100 rings are 1 piece, no squeezing the ends together. They are some tight fitting SOBs too.

Comment

If they are the endless type you just smear them and the rubbers with Vaseline and push them in at right angles and twist / spin in one movement.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Thats what I did & they arent even close "slipping " right in. I probably should have waited for a warm day instead of a cold rainey one or put a hair dryer on them first. Im pretty sure after 50 years working on bikes I could slip them right in if thats what they did

Comment

If the rubbers are new then as long as it's not minus 20 outside there's no point warming the rubbers (they're all buttery soft anyway). Maybe yours are just tight - vaseline has always done the trick for me (no gay comments please.....).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

It was raining & 48, that was probably the problem. I used a rubber friendly electrical silicon lube. The boots were new

Comment

Working...
                X