Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilled slides to large - will they be OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilled slides to large - will they be OK?

OK - I got my Dynojet kit installed and by an extreme stroke of stupidity, I drilled the slides with the 5/32" drill bit.

I've contacted Dynajet through email and they are telling me that it should still run fine, but that it *may* stumble at the beginning of a rev and when rolling on the throttle. I haven't yet been able to test this due to a bad petcock.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is there anything I can do with the needle to compensate for this?

The rep with Dynojet said that I can use some sort of two part epoxy and fill the hole and redrill it directly beside it.

Thoughts?

I'd try to run it and see what happens.
    If you dont wanna do that or it happens to not run correctly you can full the holes with JB weld and drill em with the correct bit.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      I'd try to run it and see what happens.
      If you dont wanna do that or it happens to not run correctly you can full the holes with JB weld and drill em with the correct bit.
      Should I drill through the JB Weld or move directly beside it?

Comment

The one I did, I drilled right through the JB weld.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          The one I did, I drilled right through the JB weld.
          Awesome, thank you very much!

How much JB weld did you use? Did you fill the entire hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
            Awesome, thank you very much!

How much JB weld did you use? Did you fill the entire hole?
            Fill the hole. Let it set. Start over. It'll be just fine

Comment

Since i am not a engine builder..plz enlighten me as to what drilling a sslide is and what its supposed to do.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Since i am not a engine builder..plz enlighten me as to what drilling a sslide is and what its supposed to do.
                In the CV carbs, there is a hole in the bottom of the slide that transfers the vacuum up to the space above the diaphragm to pull the slide up. When you install a jet kit (usually due to pods and a header), the engine can handle more air quicker, but the holes are not big enough to transfer the vacuum quickly enough. Drilling them out a bit will help quicken the response. Drilling the hole too large will tend to lift them too quickly, making the carbs stumble because the velocity of the air flow is lost because the slides lifted.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I must have been thinking about this backwards. I thought the hole was to allow the slide to drop more quickly when you let off on the throttle. Is there a diagram or powerpoint that explains how these carbs work at different throttle positions? They are a bit confusing.

Comment

The CV slide regulates how where the needle is in reference to where you are in the throttle.

Here's a diagram:

Comment

I see it more clearly thanks to your picture. Increasing the hole size must make the slide more responsive in both the time it take to raise as well as lower the slide based on the vacuum created on the intake stroke, correct? I think I was seeing only half of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Mith View Post
                        I see it more clearly thanks to your picture. Increasing the hole size must make the slide more responsive in both the time it take to raise as well as lower the slide based on the vacuum created on the intake stroke, correct? I think I was seeing only half of the picture.
                        Yes, exactly.

I haven't tested it yet, I'll report back to this thread how the larger holes act.

Comment

Originally posted by Mith View Post
                          I thought the hole was to allow the slide to drop more quickly when you let off on the throttle.
                          Technically speaking, it wouldn't really matter how long the slides stay up when you close the throttle.

The butterfly is what is connected to the cable, and is what controls the output to the cylinders. The slide only modulates the velocity of the airflow across the jets in the carb throat. When you close the butterflies by letting off the throttle, there is NO air flow, so it does not matter where the slides are, as there is no demand.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                            The CV slide regulates how where the needle is in reference to where you are in the throttle.

Here's a diagram:

That's an RS flatslide, completely different animal. The DJ kits used to include new return springs for the slides, not sure if they still do or not. The new springs and drilled slides are meant to give you quicker throttle response.

Comment

No springs just drilling the slides on the new DJ kits. I believe the Factory Pro kits still include the spring.

I have JB Welded some slides back to stock and they were just fine. Drill through the center just like you did with the wrong bit.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X