Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilled slides to large - will they be OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Originally posted by Mith View Post
    I must have been thinking about this backwards. I thought the hole was to allow the slide to drop more quickly when you let off on the throttle. Is there a diagram or powerpoint that explains how these carbs work at different throttle positions? They are a bit confusing.
    Maybe this will help:

The Mikuni Group manufactures superior products for a wide range of industries, including automotive, commercial vehicles, powersports, general purpose, household and safety, as well as export and sales of aerospace parts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      No springs just drilling the slides on the new DJ kits. I believe the Factory Pro kits still include the spring.

I have JB Welded some slides back to stock and they were just fine. Drill through the center just like you did with the wrong bit.
      Yea, there were no springs.

How much of the hole do you fill with JB Weld? The entire 3/4" or so, or just enough to plug the hole?

I'm afraid if I attempt to fill the entire hole that I may leave air pockets in the JB Weld.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
        Yea, there were no springs.

How much of the hole do you feel with JB Weld? The entire 3/4" or so, or just enough to plug the hole?

I'm afraid if I attempt to fill the entire hole that I may leave air pockets in the JB Weld.
        Use the bottom of the drill bit you used to drill the hole and push the epoxy through the hole until it comes out the other side. Then turn it over and let it sit in the upright position until it sets and then drill.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey guys, got her all tuned up and running, even with the over drilled slides. I think I might fill the holes and redrill and see how it is, if the throttle response is better with the larger holes, I'll just redrill it again, haha.

Here's two videos of it running with the slides over drilled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJC07xZ5WYY - stock exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfhXSjs07mw&NR=1 - open exhaust (just messing with it waiting for the new exhaust)

Comment

Working...
          X