yet another petcock question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another petcock question...

Just cleaned out the carbs on my 78 gs750 everything was running great until the ignition coils went bad. I replaced the coils but now I have gas leaking everywhere out of the over flow valves and from the actual petcock itself. I rebuilt the petcock with 1 of those petcock rebuild kits but it did not help at all and now its running on cylinders 1&2. Oh not only does it leak while its off but also when its running. And its not dripping its pouring out. Carb, petcock or coil problem. If it is the petcock any good suggestions on a good replacement?

The leaking gas would not be because of the coils. When you put the tank back on, did you hook up the vacuum hose from the petcock (assuming it was the original petcock)? I replaced the petcocks on both of my bikes with Pingle Petcocks. Z1 also sells a knock-off Pingle for about $25. Z1 also sells the original Suzuki petcocks for about $45.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Milktown View Post
      Just cleaned out the carbs on my 78 gs750 everything was running great until the ignition coils went bad. I replaced the coils but now I have gas leaking everywhere out of the over flow valves and from the actual petcock itself. I rebuilt the petcock with 1 of those petcock rebuild kits but it did not help at all and now its running on cylinders 1&2. Oh not only does it leak while its off but also when its running. And its not dripping its pouring out. Carb, petcock or coil problem. If it is the petcock any good suggestions on a good replacement?

Alot of people here don't recommend the petcock rebuild kits. Your best options are a quality aftermarket (pingel, etc..) or an OEM replacement.

Before you try to run it anymore, check the crank case for gas. Could do some damage if your oil is getting diluted.

Hopefully you replaced all the old o rings, and checked the needle valves for wear as well, when you did the carb cleaning.

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I would go with an OEM replacement petcock. You may want to look at the float valves. They shouldn't be stopping the flow of fuel when the bowls are full.

Comment

I tried one of the rebuild kits, didn't work very well. Bought the oem replacement from Z1, problems solved.

Comment

Do Little,
            Did yours come with a lever? I just bought the same one myself. I did not have a lever and one didnt come with it.

Comment

Also check

that you hooked up the vacuum line from the petcock to the vacuum line on the carb rail and NOT to the vent line. Just did this on my 700EF. Gas was running out of carbs 1 and 2 and not 3 and 4. Stumped me till I looked at it several times.

Comment

Originally posted by JStones View Post
                Do Little,
                Did yours come with a lever? I just bought the same one myself. I did not have a lever and one didnt come with it.
                Depending on the model year it may or may not come with a slector lever. My 1980 GS1000S doesn't have one. If I want to change from run to prime I need to use a small standard blade screwdriver insered into the slot in the recess where you'd normally expect to see a lever. It only has two positions "On" and "Pri".

Comment

I have an 82, and it came with a lever.

Comment

same problem

i have the same problem but bought a K&L petcock pos. now if i install the tank at night next morning my garage smells like gass, any 1 have a link to purchase a good 1.Oh and it looks like the old owner had the same problem cuss he installed a plastic lever on the vac hose to close it off or something

THANK YOU.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X