Fuel Cap Replacement Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cap Replacement Options

I have looked until I've turned green, and have zero luck finding a fuel cap for the 1985 GS 550 ES that I have been tinkering on. The tank that came with the bike had a recessed cap with a key hole and a flap that turned.....that tank was mangled fairly well, so I got a different tank. The new tank has the opening of what would appear to be a more standard cap that fits it the two notches and then turns....I don't understand why the difference is here, but it's causing me a headache. I ordered a NOS Suzuki cap from eBay, but it doesn't reach deep enough to grab the rail and slide inside the tank.

Anyone have any insight to what the cap for this thing looks like, or where I can get one? I'm half tempted to butcher this thing and try to fab the old cap on the new tank, but I don't trust myself to do the work.

Any help is appreciated with this. I may be able to get some pictures up if needed.

Do you have any pictures of the tanks? Is the new tank an actual Suzi tank, or is it from another bike? How about year/model for the tank? The Suzuki dual sport DR250s we use in the MSF program have a cap that screws into the tank a 1/4 turn and then locks. It's a round, black cap. Maybe that will will fit.

Comment

The tank that I put on the bike is a stock tank, and it looks just like the tank that was on the bike when I got it. Same lines, same everything, just a different fuel inlet area.
      I will try to get some pictures up when I get home this evening.
      The bike is a 1985 model, but the tank I put on could be from 83-85?? Didn't know there was change, until it showed itself to me. Service manual doesn't show it, and neither do the parts diagrams on various sites.

Comment

Can't find my camera, and none of the pictures I have show the fuel cap area that I am talking about.

Still a bit lost on this one. Anyone have any knowledge about these caps?

Comment

Hi,

Partsnmore.com shows a gas cap for the GS550. Look on this page:

I'm not sure it that will fit your bike, but have a look to make sure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the post, but that shows for the 550L model. Not sure how to be certain about fit between the two models. They don't share a common tank. Doesn't show one for the "E" model.

Comment

Hi,

Doh! I assumed that you had checked with the Suzuki OEM vendors. That's why I was looking at other sources. It seems that Partshark.com has the gas cap for your bike; #3 in the parts fiche, CAP ASSY, FUEL TANK, part# 44200-43410-KEY

It's not cheap, $87.30. Most places will charge over $100.

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I wish I could find my camera. The image you have there is exactly what the original tank's cap looks like. However, the tank that I now have doesn't have the same fuel cap assembly. It has one that resembles the more traditional screw-on type cap with the two tabs and a rubber gasket. This is where I am lost. The circular inlet of the fuel tank is raised above the overall surface of the tank, and therefore the cap will be sticking up rather than flush mounted as shown.

I will keep looking for my camera.....

Comment

This fuel cap is the one I was talking about. It might be the one to work from your description, I don't know. Part # 5.

$73-77 for the cap. Part # 44200-03810 or 44200-05820

Comment

That cap looks like it would fit, but not sure how I would be sure before spending coin on a guess. I will see if I can find a local with a similar bike and try it out.

Comment

Just noticed this picture in a different thread here about a gas tank. However, the opening on this tank looks almost identical to what is on the tank I am searching for the cap to. Any ideas other than the dirtbike type cap?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by User View Post
                        Just noticed this picture in a different thread here about a gas tank. However, the opening on this tank looks almost identical to what is on the tank I am searching for the cap to. Any ideas other than the dirtbike type cap?

That picture is of a 1980 GS1000S tank.

BassCliff

Comment

Anyone have a spare GS1000 fuel cap they'd sell?

Comment

I was thumbing through the diagrams on Bikebandit.com and found the 1983 GS550E, and there it was......the same tank with a different cap. Go figure. I guess that the tank I purchased was actually from a 550E and not a 550ES as I was led to believe. Somewhere along the lines the decision was made to just change the fuel cap assembly and nothing else....Now that I know what I am looking for, half of the battle is over.

Comment

Working...
                            X