Question about GS550EF Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about GS550EF Carbs

Restoring an 84 GS550EF. Cleaned the carbs, got new o-rings, float bowl gaskets and a few jets. Question about the hoses on the carbs. The manual states 3 hoses - my carbs have two. One vent and one fuel?

Reading an old post here, mentions a T fitting for fuel. Can someone confirm that the fuel feed is between the 2 pair of carbs (clear hose) ??

I put a t fitting between the 2 carbs, hopefully this is correct. Strange there's only one vent hose on the right bank of carbs, nothing on the left side.

Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 08:30 AM.

fuel feeds into the carb on the right and is transported to the left via the metal tube.

The clear is an vent to atmosphere.

Comment

Got this from an older post:

The 5/16" line is fuel and connects between the gas "T" fitting junction between the 2 and 3 carbs and the large inlet on the petcock. The 1/4" inlet on the petcock connects to (usually...can vary with models) the vacuum tube on the left side of the #3 carb. The vents on the float bowls are vented to atomspere and connect to nothing. You may have a vent hose coming from underneath the fuel tank if you have a gas guage, it will vent to atomsphere. The vent line on the right side of 1 carb, right side of 2 carb and left side of 4 carb is usually to atomsphere."

Manual, microfiche doesn't really show anything about the hose routings, only that there's 3 hoses to the carbs. There's no metal tube between the carbs, just a clear fuel hose.

So, I'll remove the T fitting and hook things up as shown in the first picture. The clear fuel line between the carbs, I'll vent to atmosphere.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Small black hose is vacuum line which attaches to petcock
        large black hose is fuel line which attaches to petcock

What you have joined in a T is the airvent.

Comment

Just like previous poster said.
          Here's a shot of mine when I pulled them last. Mine didn't have the T-fitting but instead just had two lines for the vent ports.

Fuel: The coil/sping wrapped line
          Vacuum to petcock: Small line up front
          Vent to air: The other two lines

Good luck!

PS: Check my signature for helpful links for our bikes.

Comment

Thanks all, got them installed. Starts on full choke but can't set the idle, have hold the throttle open. There's a little slack in the throttle cable and the idle knob doesn't seem to do much. I'm using a separate fuel supply but have the vacum line plugged.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
              Thanks all, got them installed. Starts on full choke but can't set the idle, have hold the throttle open. There's a little slack in the throttle cable and the idle knob doesn't seem to do much. I'm using a separate fuel supply but have the vacum line plugged.
              Gotta have the airbox connected... won't run without it
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Airbox is connected but found a nice rip in the front carb boot on the head. Ordered a new one from Suzuki $40.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
                  Airbox is connected but found a nice rip in the front carb boot on the head. Ordered a new one from Suzuki $40.

Its a nice way to rip an airry.
                  that blows a new one is needed though sad to say.

Comment

Working...
                  X