Carbs or electrical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs or electrical?

So I've been working on this pile of junk for way to long, and it seems that fixing one thing breaks another. So anyway, just had a guy sync and rejet my carbs. Runs fairly good in the lower RPMs up to about 4000, but it won't hold higher RPMs. I can crank it up to say 8000 rpm and hold the throttle, and it will cut out like it doesn't have fuel then a second later jump back to 8000 for sec, then back down again and will just keep doing this. It has K&N pods, main jets at 100 (92.5 stock) and pilot jets up a step, carbs are clean, floats within range. Petcock feeds fuel fine. The mechanic told me it worked fine for him, and says it might be my electrical issues I've had(didn't have him fix those). Something about a thing that changes the timing as the rpm's increase. My cousin told me it seems like the is running lean and possibly a weak spark, but I don't entirely trust his opinion. Bike won't charge of course(rectifier on the way), and all my lights have stopped working for no apparent reason recently.

So, the main question here, is it electrical or carbs? I figure if it's carbs somebody here will hopefully recognize these symptoms and help me rule out electrical.

its not charging..rectifier on the way..lights stopped working for no apparent reason.. One APPARENT reason could be that its NOT CHARGING. The coils require a minimum of constant, non fluctuating voltage to produce a powerfull enough spark to insure proper fuel ignition.. Secondly, PODS>>PODS>>PODS=== SUCK>>SUCK>>SUCK>> Get the electrical back online then trouble shoot
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I didn't realize the charging system had an effect on the spark plugs, but now that you point it out it makes sense.

Comment

Just what is this pile of junk?

It makes a difference.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My bad, 1982 GS550L

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Do Little View Post
            Something about a thing that changes the timing as the rpm's increase.
            Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "spark advance" is part of the electronic ignition on your bike. There's nothing really to "fix" and the igniter boxes are expensive to replace. Worst case scenario would be to install a Dyna-S ignition because they are much cheaper than a new igniter. But the fact that your bike runs as well as it does makes me want to look elsewhere.

So you've got K&N pods and gone up 3 sizes on your mains? Do you also have a modified exhaust? Regardless, three sizes may not be enough to compensate for the increased air intake from the pod filters. Stumbling at the higher throttle openings is a sign that the mains may be too small. CLICK HERE for tuning tips.

You should definitely get your charging/electrical system in order. Have you cleaned ALL of the electrical connections and grounds on the entire harness, including the fuse box? Your bike will love you for it. At 4000 rpm your battery should be seeing 14v or even a little better. Have you tested your stator output? Go through the Stator Papers. Also see the guides for stator testing on my little website. Then look in the Electrical Odds and Ends section for all of the extra information by Mr. posplayr (Charging System Health, Quick Test, "More On The Stator Papers", etc).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Jetting carbs is a bit of an art form. Or, you can get a DJ jet kit if available for your model and everything is included. Including the directions.
              You have CV 32's on your bike. They require much more than a simple main jet change. Ya have to drill the slides, restrict the air jet passage and change to upgraded adjustable needles.
              Last edited by Octain; 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
              X