fuel screw help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel screw help

I found on Bikecliff's site how to adjust the fuel screw properly. Now I can't find it and want to tune my carbs in the a.m. so I can finally ride for the first time this year. Please help me !

Hi,

What carbs? What bike?

Hint: Put your bike year/model in your signature file.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

34mm CV carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
        34mm CV carbs.
        Set the screws at 2.5 turns open from lightly seated to start. Warm up the bike and then tweak the screws slightly and take note of changes in the idle speed. You want to achieve the highest idle speed possible. Many times you can not really tell much idle speed change when messing with the screws in which case just stop. All screws should be pretty much the same number of turns open - typically 2 - 3 turns open. Needless to say you will have to do a vacuum carb sync if you want the best tune. Please don't skip this step.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

Did you follow the Carb Cleanup Series? There is a link on the GSR homepage and your "mega-welcome". The "idle mixture screws" are under protective caps which must be removed in order to gain access to the adjustment screws. If these screws have not been removed and the O-rings replaced, then your carbs have not been properly cleaned. See the READ ME page on my website for more information and all of the maintenance tasks you should perform in order to have a safe, reliable GS.

BassCliff

Comment

Yes I followed the cleanup series although they really didn't need it. It only has 6,000 miles on it and never sat with fuel in them. Dip them, new o rings, new bowl gaskets, Dyna jet kit installed so I think I have all the bases covered. The PO never jetted it for the V&H exhaust he put on. I am all set to sync I just need to know how to adjust the idle mixture screws properly. First time adjusting carbs on a bike and want to make sure I do everything the way it should be done. Thank you guys for all your help.

Comment

Hi,

OK! It sounds like you're ready. This is the physical location of the "idle mixture screws" and vacuum adjustment screws (looking down from above the carb rack).

Here are links to the adjustment procedures.

Plug Chops-Highest RPM Methods
              (by Mr. tkent02 and Mr. psyguy)

Synchronize Carburetors
              (With the Morgan Carbtune)

Synchronize Carburetors
              (on bwringer's site)

BassCliff

Comment

I just did my 81 GS550L. It would not run at less than 3 turns out on the mixture screw. UNtil you get the mixture right, you really can't really proceed. I then used a friends Morgan setup and finally got a reliable 1200 idle.

Comment

I'm having some issues now. I can get it to idle great but as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. Nothing is clogged and I don't think the boots are leaking.

Comment

you have stock pilot jets in there?

Sure the float height is correct?

Does the rpm drop as soon as you blip the trottle? Choke off?

My choke cable was hanging up and causing it to get extra fuel and bog if touched the throtle.

Nic
                    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                      you have stock pilot jets in there?

Sure the float height is correct?

Does the rpm drop as soon as you blip the trottle? Choke off?

My choke cable was hanging up and causing it to get extra fuel and bog if touched the throtle.

Nic
                      I adjust to what the manual said could not get it do anything but idle. Went back to the float hieght that I found it at and wont even start now. Yes stock pilot jets and no the choke is not hanging up. It just dies as soon as the throttle is touched.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Is the stock airbox installed with a clean lightly oiled air filter?

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

Is the stock airbox installed with a clean lightly oiled air filter?

BassCliff
                          Dynojet stage 3, K&N pods, Marving race 4-1 All 3 brand new

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                            I adjust to what the manual said could not get it do anything but idle. Went back to the float hieght that I found it at and wont even start now...
                            Hmmmm. The float height should be 22.4mm (+/- 1mm). But it's best to set it right in the middle of the range. In other words, 22.4mm float height.

Seems like you've been very thorough. I'm scratching my head on this one.

BassCliff

Comment

I pulled the bowls off and triple checked everything. There was no blockage anywhere and float height correct. The bench sync was still spot on. I guess the next step is to check the diaphragms, needles, and mixture screws. Anything I should look for other than a tear in the diaphragms or some sort of blockage? Dealing with these carbs has been the worst experience I have ever had right from the moment I started tearing them down.

Comment

Working...
                              X