No announcement yet.

fuel screw help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tear in the diaphragm will not prevent application of throttle. A tear will only prevent the slides from opening as the engine speed increases, so you should have very crisp response to throttle "blips", but might have limited power at higher throttle openings because the slides are not open enough to allow proper air flow.

Everybody has their favorite setting for a starting point when adjusting the mixture screws. I used to start at two full turns out, Nessism apparently uses 2.5 turns. I had so many cases where I had to keet richening the mixture, I now use three full turns as my starting point. Yeah, they might end up at 2 or 2.5, but the richer mixture will help get them running in the first place, then you can fine-tune from there.

Where are your mixture screws set now? Try them at three, or even a bit more, turns out. If you have to go past four turns, change the pilot fuel jets to one size larger, as there is not any difference past four turns.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I started at 2.5 out.

When playing with the idle I could get it to idle as low as 750rpm but never above 1750rpms.

Comment

Got home today put the carbs on with all new clamps just to make sure there was no leaks.I pulled the choke, hit the key and did nothing but crank over. Pulled 1 plug and it had a little soot on it. Gave it a quick wipe and looked like the new plug it is. Turned the key and had spark, but just for fun put all the old plugs in. Hit the key and it came to life and ran for about a minute. I'm getting 9.5 volts to the coils and was wondering if this is too weak of a spark to burn all the fuel and the cause of my problem.

Comment

9.5 volts is pretty low. If your battery is fully charged I'd tear in and find out what's wrong. If all else fails, I'd do the coil relay mod.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            9.5 volts is pretty low. If your battery is fully charged I'd tear in and find out what's wrong. If all else fails, I'd do the coil relay mod.
            I was going to do one after I got it running. I wanted to put green coils on also. Before anyone asks it was fully charge and has been on the charger all day. New stator and rectifier last year. what should the voltage be at or around?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
              I was going to do one after I got it running. I wanted to put green coils on also. Before anyone asks it was fully charge and has been on the charger all day. New stator and rectifier last year. what should the voltage be at or around?

Ideally you don't want any drop to the coils. You will see some drop due to old wiring and dirty connections. If its more than 1.5v then do the mod.

Might want to do the relay mod now. Sounds like it needs to happen BEFORE you will get it running

Nic
              Last edited by niclpnut; 05-31-2011, 11:02 PM.
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I'm really interested in this thread as I am about to do a rebuild on my carbs and have a question. What is this coil relay mod you are talking about?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
                  I'm really interested in this thread as I am about to do a rebuild on my carbs and have a question. What is this coil relay mod you are talking about?
                  CLICK HERE are read all bout LOTS of stuff for your motorcycle, coil relay mod, stator testing, oil changes, air intake repairs, fork seal replacement, etc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

OK part of my issue was most definitely the voltage to the coils. Did the relay mod and fired right up.

I am running way rich and no mixture screw adjustment would help. What are the chances that the 138 main jets are to rich even though Dynojet says to start with them on the stage 3 kit? I guess my big fear is going too lean and burning up something.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
                      I would do the relay mod right off the bat. I think i ran all last season with the coils being under powered. Notice a big difference in the way it starts and my carbs aren't even close to being dialed in.

Relay mod

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                        I would do the relay mod right off the bat. I think i ran all last season with the coils being under powered. Notice a big difference in the way it starts and my carbs aren't even close to being dialed in.
                        I have four GSes at the house right now, and have had one "catch-and-release" a little over a year ago.
                        NONE of them have had the coil relay mod.

If they started any easier, they would already be running when I walked up to them.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I have four GSes at the house right now, and have had one "catch-and-release" a little over a year ago.
                          NONE of them have had the coil relay mod.

If they started any easier, they would already be running when I walked up to them.

Do they all have stock coils and ignition? Obviously you aren't get a voltage drop at the coils.

Comment

Two of them came to me with Accel coils, the other two are stock.

Quite frankly, I have never measured the voltage at the coils.

Because I have never had any problems starting them (after the valves were adjusted and the carbs were cleaned),
                            I have never had any reason to suspect diminished voltage at the coils.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X