gs650 smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650 smoking

right , after installing carbs, the bike is running fine but smoking when it never used to, looking at basecliffs carbs section, it seems i may have set the float heights wrong!! i set them at the top step not the bottom step as illustrated !! i have tried to weaken the mixture off by screwing the mixture screws clockwise but it didnt make much difference , leading me to beleive the floats are flooding the engine, the carbs do leak when switched off sometimes aswell, so am i correct in assuming that the high float height is causing the smoking issue ? thanks jon

bump..........

Comment

You're on the right track. Need to reset the float height, measuring from the gasket surface (gasket removed) to the flat part of the float before that step up. Sounds like the bowls are filling way to high.

If you see a plume of smoke expecially after trying to blip the throttle, it's getting too much fuel, and it's not burning off.

If your leaking it could be a combination of things...float height, needlevalves/o-rings, and or petcock.

If its flooding that badly, check the the oil for gas dilution. Open the oil fill cap and give it a sniff, and or check the oil level to determine if you have gas in the oil.

Get the float height set first and check the needle valves and o-rings (I assume since you had the carbs off the bike you did a proper cleaning and installed new o-rings) while you are in there. I tore the first set of needle valve o-rings I installed and had some bad leaking.

And check the petcock (see if fuel is dripping out of the line with the carbs off the bike).

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Hi,

I think the carbs work best when the float height is set as closely as possible to the middle of the range, for my bike that's 22.4mm (+/- 1mm). But I try not to use the "+/- 1mm" part.

From where is it smoking? From the exhaust? What color is the smoke?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Since by your own admission you set the floats wrong, why not fix them and then see if the problems goes away?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Update, right , thanks all for the replies, been out in the workshop tonight(just got in) re-set to 22.4 with vernier gauge, re-fitted carbs and ran her up to ful temp, all good , no smoke and strangely enough , no rattling from what i suspected to be cam end float !!!!!! could it have been pre ignition with being to rich and so far out of balance?, cheers jon

Comment

It can be cam chain rattle or clutch basket when the engine is running rough

But, no worries now. DO you have it ready to ride?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

yeh, just gotta, re-fit the tank and seat now and take her for a spin and then whip the plugs out and adjust the mixtures to suit, ideally a sync would be done but do not have guages yet, jon

Comment

Right , more help and avice required !!!! i put a gallon of fuel in the tank and fitted it tonight, connected the vac and fuel lines and the bike starved itself of fuel and stopped, i then connetcted up my temp fuel supply in the roof of my workshop and gave it a direct feed with the vac line blocked off and it started up fine and ran with no issues, i tried the fuel tap in reserve/prome and on positions, could it be not enough fuel in tank(but i wouldnt think so) or fuel tap issue, i tried sucking on the vac line with the tank off and fuel flowed as it should, stumped here now and advice needed, please,,cheers guys , jon

Comment

If the suck on the vac line worked it can only be a kink in one of the hoses when you put the tank down.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Why oh why does the bloody obvious sometimes not slap you in the face, cheers mate , i,ll try that tomorrow.jon

Comment

That's why we're here!
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Right, re-fitted the tank, but its missing when you throttle it up, take the tank off and put the intrevenus drip feed on from the roof direct and it runs great!! i surely must have a petcock problem here? yet if i suck on the pipe it runs ok, could it be too rich causing the missing/rough pick up, but if so whynot do it when it connected to temp supply ?

cant help thinking ive got a starvation issue going on here

Comment

Look at the bends in your hoses and whether the hose itself is too big. I had a vacuum issue at the beginning of this season where when going uphill I would lose power. The only thing I had changed from last year was to put a vacuum hose closer to the size i was told it would be. After some testing I found it out it was JUST that much too big. I put the old 1/4" drip line hose back on and I haven't had an issue since really.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Does your petcock have a Prime position?

If it does, try that and see what happens

Do you have new fuel/vacuum hoses on the bike?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X