Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when the carbs don't attach to the air box well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when the carbs don't attach to the air box well?

I had to replace the fuel line on my bike today and it was tricking getting the hose onto the connection at the bottom. Anyways, I loosened up the connection from the carbs to the airbox trying to remove the airbox so I could attach the fuel line easier. Well there was too much stuff to remove the airbox and I was able to attach the fuel line anyways. I tried clamping the airbox back to the carbs but it kept pulling away. Even when i tighested teh clamps on the airbox all the way. So needless to say its 96 outside and I had already been working on it for a while so I decided it was fitting together good enough. I rode it around afterwards and it felt like it was reving higher than normal, but other wise it was ok. I plan on taking it to the shop in a few weeks to get the inspection and I'll have them fix the link if needed. Until then, should I expect problems? Thanks.

It will be running lean, too much air. That's why it revs higher at idle. You will have problems until you get the airbox boots properly attached.

Comment

What Dan said is spot on. Try disconnecting all the bolts holding the air box in place along with the clamps. Refit the air box to the carbs and tighten the clamps. Then fasten the air box to the frame mounts. You may have to spray all little silicone spray depending on the condition of the boots. But, 90 degrees plus may be enough warmth to make the boots pliable. Bob

Comment

Buy new boots

Or, gently use a heat gun to soften them
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It may be that they have a little bit of oil on them from breather pipe vapours. Clean off with petrol and re -attach. They should grip better.

sc

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
            What Dan said is spot on. Try disconnecting all the bolts holding the air box in place along with the clamps. Refit the air box to the carbs and tighten the clamps. Then fasten the air box to the frame mounts. You may have to spray all little silicone spray depending on the condition of the boots. But, 90 degrees plus may be enough warmth to make the boots pliable. Bob
            I had this very same problem. The boot going to No. 1 carb keeps slipping but I did try to tighten them on when the airbox was already tightly fastened. I'm going to try this 'cause I've had the same high rev issue.

Comment

I ran into the same problem when changing my fuel hose. I actually realized that carb #3 was cracked. I took some blue silicone and resealed the crack. I was quite liberal with my silicone application to be sure it was sealed. it is running better than ever now, but I wonder if this could hurt it in th elong run?

Comment

I had the same issue. Turns out my old airbox had weakened and warped, so everytime I tried to attach it the two inner boots would just bend in and wouldn't slide on to the carbs. It took much prying and cussing and sweating to finally get them on.

Comment

Working...
                X