Help with my plug chop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my plug chop.

Pulled the plugs and saw that the are somewhat brown, but the ends of the electrodes are ashy and I know this means a lean condition.

While driving it, and if cruising at around 4k it is slightly poppy and pops on decel.

I need help on where to start. Should I start by bringing the needle up one notch and driving it again to see how it goes?

It has a Dynojet Stage 3 kit and full Dynatek ignition. I have the 160 jets in and the needle is set 3 notches from the top.

How do I know if it is overheating? It didn't feel hot on my legs, but what should I look out for?

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I need help on where to start.
    Start by doing plug chops correctly.

The procedure is listed on BassCliff's site (no surprise there), but you need to mark the throttle grip so you KNOW how far you have the throttle open, and you can hold it there long enough to color the plugs. Then you "chop" the throttle, pull the clutch and hit the kill switch so the idle circuits don't mess up your readings.

Here is one way to mark your throttle:

Mark the tape on the grip near the top of the other tape, make a corresponding mark on the tape on the housing. Hold the throttle wide open, make a mark on the housing tape. Measure between those marks for 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 throttle openings.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Start by doing plug chops correctly.

The procedure is listed on BassCliff's site (no surprise there), but you need to mark the throttle grip so you KNOW how far you have the throttle open, and you can hold it there long enough to color the plugs. Then you "chop" the throttle, pull the clutch and hit the kill switch so the idle circuits don't mess up your readings.

Here is one way to mark your throttle:

Mark the tape on the grip near the top of the other tape, make a corresponding mark on the tape on the housing. Hold the throttle wide open, make a mark on the housing tape. Measure between those marks for 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 throttle openings.

Yeah, I didn't start intending to do a plug chop, but after installing my new tires and other things and test diving it, I noticed the popping at around 4k.

I think tomorrow I will move the needle up a notch, and then do a real plug chop.

A question though. Lets say I do a chop at half throttle and it comes back ashy and I adjust accordingly. Now I wanna do 3/4...do I have to install new plugs every single time? That's gonna get expensive if I do

Comment

No need to do new plugs every time. You might want to start with a set of new plugs, though.

Start with the idle circuit. Keep in mind that you need to hold throttle setting, not engine speed. You might have to use higher gears and/or find a small hill to keep speeds in check. The idle/pilot circuit will require about a minute of idling through town at low speed to get a good color. Next, move to the needle circuit (1/2 throttle). Use 4th and 5th gears at low rpm to climb a small hill for at least 30 seconds. Finally, check the main. Fortunately, it only takes one rip through the gears at wide open throttle to get your reading, so that will only be a few second.

Overall, the runs and pulling the plugs for readings should take about a half hour.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          No need to do new plugs every time. You might want to start with a set of new plugs, though.

Start with the idle circuit. Keep in mind that you need to hold throttle setting, not engine speed. You might have to use higher gears and/or find a small hill to keep speeds in check. The idle/pilot circuit will require about a minute of idling through town at low speed to get a good color. Next, move to the needle circuit (1/2 throttle). Use 4th and 5th gears at low rpm to climb a small hill for at least 30 seconds. Finally, check the main. Fortunately, it only takes one rip through the gears at wide open throttle to get your reading, so that will only be a few second.

Overall, the runs and pulling the plugs for readings should take about a half hour.

Thank you! So the plugs will re-color? I guess that's my biggest question.

Comment

Working...
          X