after dip cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after dip cleaning

hi just wondering after you dip the carb bodies and float besides cleaning all passages etc what about the outside do you just rinse the ouside with water and dry them off or is there more to do cheers.

just hit them with a tooth brush to get them super clean, rinse and you're done. I'm sure you've seen some of the beautiful work people do with paint and all but I've always left mine stock with polished bowls and they stay clean forever.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

dip them in an ultrasonic cleaner if you have access to one.they will come out spotless
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

After dip I like to scrub em with a toothbrush and soapy hot hot water. Let dry or blow out with compressed air, then canned carb cleaner with the little plastic hose, compressed air again. Then lightly lube with the lube of your choice. I use WD40.
        I like to lube the jets, needles and orings again as I assemble the carbs.

Dont forget to use your safety glasses. Ya never know which way that pesky carb cleaner's gonna go.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

After dipping the carbs, they get rinsed in very HOT water (mine is set to about 140F (60C). Then they get the wire poking and spray treatment.

If you use a regular toothbrush, be aware that some of the plastics used in toothbrushes are NOT compatible with carb sprays.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the tips plenty more to do cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              After dipping the carbs, they get rinsed in very HOT water (mine is set to about 140F (60C). Then they get the wire poking and spray treatment.

If you use a regular toothbrush, be aware that some of the plastics used in toothbrushes are NOT compatible with carb sprays.

Great info Steve, never thought of rinsing in HOT water, thanks.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Great info Steve, never thought of rinsing in HOT water, thanks.
                I believe the instructions say to rinse with warm water. I have too much confusion defining "warm", so I just use HOT.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I believe the instructions say to rinse with warm water. I have too much confusion defining "warm", so I just use HOT.

LOL.. I like it hot hot instead of HOT. It dries faster.

Oh and the toothbrush should only be used when washing em with hot hot soapy water. Not when you're sprying em with carb cleaner
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                  X