Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Start - - GS550 EF - What next??

84 GS550EF bringing it back to life, but it just won't start:

- rebuilt carbs - new jets, checked float height, new O rings including intake boots.
    - new battery
    - new spark plugs
    - valves adjusted
    - new air filter
    - compression 125-130 lbs
    - mixture screws 2 turns out (started at 1 and went to 4)

The engine turns over geat, good fat spark, fuel in the float bowls. All I'm getting is the odd backfire out the pipes. Now I'm baffled??

Try swapping the coil input leads.My 750's where on the wrong coils.Did the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
      84 GS550EF bringing it back to life, but it just won't start:

- rebuilt carbs - new jets, checked float height, new O rings including intake boots.
      - new battery
      - new spark plugs
      - valves adjusted
      - new air filter
      - compression 125-130 lbs
      - mixture screws 2 turns out (started at 1 and went to 4)

The engine turns over geat, good fat spark, fuel in the float bowls. All I'm getting is the odd backfire out the pipes. Now I'm baffled??
      nary a pop?
      Check the plug wires fro correct orientation.
      You may alos be suffering from a lack of fuel in the carb bowls so set the rig to the rpime position.

If all esle fales hit it with a shot of starter fluid. If it kicks and does not puel then you have a fuel input problem.

Comment

Using a lawn mower gas tank as a fuel supply and float bowls are full of gas.

Tried the starter fluid trick, nothing happened.

I did the coil relay mod several weeks ago, I'll double check my connections, could well be they're wired wrong. Plug wires are 1&4 and 2&3.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
          Using a lawn mower gas tank as a fuel supply and float bowls are full of gas.

Tried the starter fluid trick, nothing happened.

I did the coil relay mod several weeks ago, I'll double check my connections, could well be they're wired wrong. Plug wires are 1&4 and 2&3.

MK dude you need to check you ignition. You got spark to 1 and 4 and 2 and 3?

If not work your way back to the pulse generators.

Comment

Swapped the coil wires and she fired right up, runs like a champ now!! Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
            X