Airbox Boots Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Boots Question

Anyone know how to put the metal ring inside the airbox boots, do I put them in the boot before putting the boot back on the airbox, or do I put them in after putting the boots back on?

Originally posted by castlekin View Post
    Anyone know how to put the metal ring inside the airbox boots, do I put them in the boot before putting the boot back on the airbox, or do I put them in after putting the boots back on?
    I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I managed to put the rings in the boots after the boots were in the breather with little difficulty. I didn't notice any resistance or snagging in the rubber while I was doing so. I might find out something different once I get the bike started up again this week.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Put the boots in first and then put the metal ring back in. If the rings are the split end type it's really easy. If the rings are solid / endless then vaseline is your friend.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I had a heck if a time getting them back in my 83 1100 Katana when it was cold out. Id try a hair dryer to warm them up if I did it again. Mine were solid rings going in new boots and they were a bear to get in. I used some silicon lube because I had some. Others say its real easy but that was not my experience at all. Having a second person to push the other side at the same time might work too.

Comment

I got it, I was putting the boots in way to far. Ooops.

Comment

I was having issues with this as well but finally solved it. I placed the boots in the airbox, then rubbed some vaseline on the inside of the boot where the ring was to end up. I also rubbed vaseline on the outside of the ring, then placed the ring in the boot lightly. Now here's the secret sauce. I found a large bottle of spices (mine was cinammon) with a cap that just about matched the circumference of the ring. Mine was actually just a smidge smaller, which is better than being a smidge too large. I place the cap into the ring, and then with the spice bottle at a slight angle to help wedge the cap into the ring pushed down with very little effort and voila! Took about 5 minutes in total.

Comment

my old boots didnt have these spoken of rings...so im running without them...i dont fell nor see any issues without them

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                my old boots didnt have these spoken of rings...so im running without them...i dont fell nor see any issues without them
                Yes, the GS850 does not use these retaining rings inside the carb boots. Check your parts fiche.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X