Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any one help me with a 83 Honda 500? Please???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can any one help me with a 83 Honda 500? Please???

I know its not a Suzuki,,,but I have a Suzuki and this forum is the reason it runs soooo good.... Im trying to help a guy with his 83 Honda VT500.

We are going through the basics---no air leaks, carb clean, valve adjust ect.

We have found a manual to download but it is missing some vital pages,,we want to know the factory jet sizes in the Keihin carbs,, he has aftermarket pipes and we are pretty sure it hasn't been jetted---if it hasn't been jetted what jet kit would you guys suggest or what size jets should we try.

When I put pipes on my newer Honda, the pipe instuctions told me exactly what jet kit to buy to go with them. I remember when I installed the main jet it was actually a smaller hole than my factory jet,,,but it was supposed to be a bigger jet right??? It was paired with a different needle too?

So I guess im asking for a lesson in jets and sizes and what they mean.
    Anybody got any good links?

And no he doesnt know what kind of pipes he has but they just look like your standard free flow aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks---I will take all the ragging you can give me for posting about a Honda if I can get some answers too

Take the jets with you to a shop/ dealer and tell them you want 1 size larger main jets.

How well does the bike run now?

Comment

Not running too good---I really think this is the problem, because he seems to remember the guy he bought it from saying that it needed to be re-jetted, he has finally got the airbox and all the air leaks fixed and it runs much better than it did. I think he's ready for a complete carb clean, but we wanted to nip this jet problem in the bud while he has them apart. If we get 1 size larger main jet,, what about the needle? and does a 1 size larger jet have a larger hole? It seems that this would be the case, but I seem to remember when I did mine it was a larger jet number but the hole looked smaller--is this right or am I remembering wrong?

Comment

Yes, higher numbers should be a larger diameter hole. The needle might need shimmed or it might not. IMO, a jet kit is usually a waste of money (I'm cheap though).

Comment

Hmm,, yeah I thought I paid too much for that damn kit--but that was before I knew about these great forums

OK---so we go up one size on the main jets--and then how do we shim the factory needles or know if we should shim the needles at all---it seems like we should if we are putting a larger jet in but just looking for advice and opinions and info

Comment

Here ya go man. More info than I can type out:

Comment

I know it's for 2 stroke carbs, but the principles are the same.

Comment

thanks man--thats some good book learnin'

been searchin on how to shim a factory needle--haven't found much yet---do jet kits come with a new pilot jet?

How do you know if or what size to drill the cv slide hole?

Comment

Mornin-------sorry for the shameful bump

Comment

Working...
                  X