Cheap pods question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap pods question

Hi guys, I have seen several posts where people are warning against using cheap pods. I was just wondering what problems are likely to occur with cheap ones as opposed to expensive ones. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Couple different things can occur. From the filter element being flimsy steel mesh (keeps bees out of your carbs, but that's about it), the mounting boots being the complete wrong size, being too short (it can mess up the "harmony" of air intake), the inside of that boot can have a fat lip that disrupts air flow, etc, etc.

For me, the air filters basically protect the inside of the combustion chamber. A couple extra bucks provides a great peace of mind.

Comment

Not to mention unpredictable flow characteristics that make it a pain to try to jet correctly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've seen reports of some being more restrictive than the airbox... generally I think it's mainly such poor quality that the same brand of pods will give different results...

I think also that ones like the Emgo's can't be oiled, meaning they're not really serviceable and won't last that long.

Last I looked at Amazon, there were very competitive prices on K&N's on there.

I got my K&N's for $AU67 each...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

They are generally non restrictive to airflow and thus allow too much air causing lean burning which is not at all good for the engine ( burned valves) and overall performance. As others have mentioned they are also often not well manufactured and may not fit the carbs properly. I have lost one from a Yammie I had while riding.

If you do run them you will need to put in larger jets and as Steve mentions it can be a huge pain to tune the carbs. Its all a big balancing act and if not done correctly will cause crappy running and will be detremental to the engine. Best to go for something of better quality like K&N.

Good luck,
          Spyug

Comment

The APE pods are quality pieces and much less expensive than K&N. I have had K&N and AEM filters on my previous cars and the APE build quality is equal, although they do not feature a venturi. Also they can be cleaned and re-oiled just like the K&N versions.

Comment

Get these: http://gszone.biz/carbs.html

$60 for all four

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                Get these: http://gszone.biz/carbs.html

$60 for all four
                those are the APE KN knockoffs... Work quite well.. Mind you the only big difference besides having no bell mouth inside, (which you dont really neeeeeed ) is that there is no lip on the back of the clamp area, so if you over clamp them, they'll pop off... Keep an eye on that..

Comment

I have a set of cheap emgo and some K&N's. I run the K&N's cause they look better. BUt using either set I can not tell a difference in the way the bike runs.
                  The carbs jetted for a free flowing intake system.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    those are the APE KN knockoffs... Work quite well.. Mind you the only big difference besides having no bell mouth inside, (which you dont really neeeeeed ) is that there is no lip on the back of the clamp area, so if you over clamp them, they'll pop off... Keep an eye on that..
                    I had a bit of a problem with just what you're talking about. The boots had an almost oily surface. Using a socket driver and helped immensely in getting them tightened firmly vs a screwdriver.

Comment

Mind you the only big difference besides having no bell mouth inside, (which you dont really neeeeeed ) is that there is no lip on the back of the clamp area, so if you over clamp them, they'll pop off... Keep an eye on that..
                      As I mentioned. When I lost one once replaced I "safety"wired them together with a connector wire to the carb rail. Never lost one again and they never came off the carbs even....go figure.

Spyug

Comment

Working...
                      X