81 GS 850 Gas leak/metal noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 850 Gas leak/metal noise

Gas inside air box? Cleaned carbs but did not change inside o-rings. Float levels good. Replaced petcock with new OEM petcock. Cleaned cam chain tensioner. Oil level steady do not think gas in crankcase. Any ideas?

Bike runs, making squealing noise, metalallic sound from top of motor, goes away with higher rpms.

19000 miles, new purchase for 850.00 hope was not a mistake.

Have a GS 550 also - web site been a god send.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. morrissjack,

Have a look at this article:

Overflowing Carbs

Noise in the top of the engine? I hope it's not oil starvation in the cam area. I would open it up and take a look.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The carb are (obviously) overflowing. Could be dirty float needles, leaking float seat O-ring, sinking float, and other things I suspect. Rust in the tank often fouls float needles so that's another thing to check.

Old bikes need maintenance. I hope you didn't purchase this one thinking you are going to get off for free.

Edit: Basscliff posted while I was typing.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi Ed,

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Edit: Basscliff posted while I was typing.
        Great minds think alike!

Too bad you can't make renobruce's rally. It's been a while since we've ridden.

BassCliff

Comment

BikeCliff: Thanks for the greeting. The carbs are an issue I can tackle. Opening the top scares me. I am not sure I would know a problem if I saw it.

Thanks again, Jack

Comment

Well if you see

scarred up metal surfaces rather than smooth looking cam lobes that would be a pretty good indicator that there's a problem! Also if blue colored metal it has gotten hot most likely because of oil starvation. Doesn't hurt to check it out. If you feel comfortable tackling the carbs, probably not a problem for you to check that out. While you're in there check out the valve lash Post pictures. You'll probably get at least a few people to help you out if they see anything that looks out of place.

Comment

Is the squealing happening while idling on the side stand?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

It's not hard to remove the valve cover, inspect the cams, and check/adjust the valves. See the valve adjustment guide on my website to find out what it looks like.

BassCliff

Comment

Dueller:

thanks for the vote of confidence. Noise only just started, I'll pull the top off and hope my issue is not serious.
                  Thanks,

Jack

Comment

tkent: Noise is not only on side stand. It is not rythmic either, sounds more metal scraping as opposed to valve knock. I going in. Removing the top this weekend;into areas unknown.
                    Nice Bike for $ 850 hope to get it in top shape.
                    Jack

Comment

Hi,

I just had a thought. Before you take off the valve cover, just disconnect the tach cable and see if the squeal goes away. But go ahead and order gaskets for the valve cover and breather, and maybe a tappet tool too. You'll need them for when you adjust the valves.

Try the screwdriver stethescope trick to localize the noise. Get a long screwdriver and put the handle in your ear then touch the tip to various points on the engine.

BassCliff

Comment

Bikecliff: Thanks for your interest. I checked the tach, nothing unusual. Noise still exsits. I pulled the top cover off today. Again, saw nothing unusual. Should I see oil in the shim valve area. looked dry to me?? Will check valve clearances this week end if time permits.

Thanks again, Jack

Comment

Hi,

Yes, there should be plenty of oil all over those shims. It should be pooled on the low side of the bucket areas.

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff: Not a good thing. Did not see alot of oil. Oil pump? Can I do a motor flush? Got me worried.

Tx, Jack

Comment

Did you check your oil level in the sight glass?

If there is no oil in the sump, it will be hard to get it to the cams.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X