No announcement yet.

81 GS 850 Gas leak/metal noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve: Oil at Full mark. I think I will change the oil again. Used bike oil will try diesel, more detergents?

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by morrissjack View Post
      Steve: Oil at Full mark. I think I will change the oil again. Used bike oil will try diesel, more detergents?

Jack
      There might be some more detergents, the main thing is that the level of zinc has not been reduced to meet requirements for vehicles with catalytic convertors. Zinc is important for lubing the transmission, which has different requirements than the crank/rods/cams.

Might also be a couple other additives, but I can't think of them right now.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just a thought. You said you had cleaned the cam chain tensioner. Did you remove it to do so ? If so did you follow the correct procedure for resetting it ? OR if you cleaned it in situ did you accidentally move the knurled wheel, making the tension too tight. This caused an almost metallic "whirring" sound when I did it. Might be worth checking.

sc

Comment

Working...
        X