CV carbs and K&N/Dynakit mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV carbs and K&N/Dynakit mods

Although Iīm not a great mechanic, two years ago I followed all the carb cleaning instructions posted by BassCliff and they were great. Never cleaned and 45,000 miles on them, I got īem clean like new. I replaced the carb boots with new ones while they were off. Then, thought I, pods look cool, and iīd like a little more snap in my 650, so while the carbs were apart I ordered up the Stage 3 DynaKit for a GS650 (I have a 4 to 1 exhaust) and put it all back together again. Well, it ran like crap. If there was low range there was no mid or if there was mid range there was no high. So I took it to a guy who is well known in this area for years and races KTMs all over the place and sells them as well. I trust his wrenching implicitly. And he couldnīt get them to behave either. And he told me that CV carbs just donīt behave as well with these pods. So I put on a set of stock carbs I bought on EBay and went back to the airbox and it runs sweet. My newly cleaned and modded carb bank, c/w K&Ns, went up on a shelf in my workshop and they sit there today.

Now I see this thread selling a 1980 GS1000S Wes Cooley, lovely looking bike, BTW, and its running CV carbs with K&N pods and a jet kit (maybe not a Dynajet kit but....) What gives? Can CV carbs really run better with Dyna Kit mods and pod filters?

Hi,

So you drilled the slides, set the needle height, tried different sized jets, etc?

Yes, with proper jetting your bike should run well. There's some trial and error, and some voodoo magic involved. You need to use the "plug chop" method and read the plugs to be sure each carb circuit/throttle opening has the proper mixture, then vary the jet sizes and needle height to compensate. I'm no expert, but that is the theory. But for anything smaller than a liter bike, it's usually not worth all the trouble. That's why my bike is still stock.

You'll find a "primer" for the plug chop method on my little website. The Factory Pro website has a "tutorial" on jetting: http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I know many on this forum are excellent mechanics and I envy them, but Iīm not so I decided that Iīd rather ride than wrench. The stock power output is just fine and the motor is smooth with good even power right up to redline. I should have remembered the old saying, ĻIf it ainīt broke, donīt fix itĻ.

But really, is a CV carb with a pod filter, once its sorted out, going to be as good as a stock installation with an airbox? I know flat slide models can be improved but CVs are controlled by vacuum arenīt they?

Comment

Always remember: More air & fuel burned CORRECTLY equals MORE POWER! I HATE, I mean HATE HATE stock air boxes & have NEVER been unable to get a bike with CVs & pods to run great! I do have over 30 years experience tuning them though. Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X