Exhaust coming out front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust coming out front

I just bought a Jardine 4 to 1 exhaust off eBay and installed 'em last night. The way they work is there are 4 individual headers that fit into one pipe with 4 female receiver ends. However, I noticed that when I had the headers on the engine (loosely) and bunched them together, header #3 was about a full 2 inches shorter than the rest.

After getting the whole thing put together and I fired her up and immediately noticed exhaust coming out of pipe #3 towards the front of the bike.

I'm pretty to new the motorcycles (and wrenching, in general), but is there some kind of trick to this? Do I seal them somehow? Or possibly take it into a shop and have them welded up?

I wouldn't mind getting them all welded together as it was a huge PITA to get them on in the first place and it would greatly alleviate future oil changes if it came off as one piece.

Thoughts?

Did you put in new exhaust gaskets?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

At the engine ports, yes. Unless there are gaskets for the headers to fit into the pipe that I'm unaware of.

Smoke is coming out the exhaust joint, not the the top by the flanges.

Comment

Originally posted by jyck View Post
        At the engine ports, yes. Unless there are gaskets for the headers to fit into the pipe that I'm unaware of.

Smoke is coming out the exhaust joint, not the the top by the flanges.
        So your question then is relative to the Jardine 4 to 1, ... the fitting of the header pipe (one of the 4) into the rest of the exhaust system (the 1). Just claairifying. And if so then someone with expereince with the JArdine will have to answer.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

try swapping the headers around till they all line up correctly. they may be marked up wrong(if marked at all)
          are you going 1 to 4 from the left as you are sitting on the bike?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            try swapping the headers around till they all line up correctly. they may be marked up wrong(if marked at all)
            are you going 1 to 4 from the left as you are sitting on the bike?
            That's a good idea. I'll give that a shot tonight. Currently, yes, they're all marked and going 1-4 left to right.

Comment

So, after various combinations of swapping the pipe positions, I couldn't get anything close to the original manufacturer recommendation. Here's a picture of the cluster:

In the end, I just seated it as firmly as possible and ran a little bit of hi temp gasket maker in the small area of the third pipe fitting. Not a long term solution, but seems to have done the trick for now.

Comment

that is seriously wrong.you could get them welded up if you want but i would be in touch with the ebay seller, i reckon he has sold you a mis match of downpipes.
                can you get a pic from the front of the pipes? they should meet the main pipe more centrally in the engine/frame, i think.
                Last edited by Agemax; 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM.
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  that is seriously wrong.you could get them welded up if you want but i would be in touch with the ebay seller, i reckon he has sold you a mis match of downpipes.
                  can you get a pic from the front of the pipes? they should meet the main pipe more centrally in the engine/frame, i think.
                  I thought that too, however, when you move them as a cluster towards the middle, they come out of alignment and will never fit into the main exhaust port. I'll contact the seller and see what he says.

I think I may have them welded up anyhow just for ease of future removal and to eliminate any leaks. Anyone have a ballpark on what that should cost?

Comment

Originally posted by jyck View Post
                    I thought that too, however, when you move them as a cluster towards the middle, they come out of alignment and will never fit into the main exhaust port. I'll contact the seller and see what he says.

I think I may have them welded up anyhow just for ease of future removal and to eliminate any leaks. Anyone have a ballpark on what that should cost?
                    shouldnt be that expensive but a mate with a welder would be handy. you WILL need to have them tacked in place so they will gaurantee to fit when welded properly
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Jyck, is this the set of pipes you bought?

From the look of the pic you provided it would make sense to me that the longer of the header pipes would be coming from cylinder 1 and 2. They would have to travel the longest to reach the right side exit muffler.
                      Maybe they have been mis-stamped.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                      X