No announcement yet.

Petcock rebuild kit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, I just checked Bikebandit, and they want over $300 for the petcock on your bike! I wonder if the petcock from a 450 would work with your bike. I'll have to look and see if I still have the old one from my bike. If I do, I can measure it and post the dimensions. A new one for the 450 is only around $50. It only has 2 positions, on and reserve, no prime.

Comment

man, I'm glad I replaced my petcock last year. I paid around 45 or 50 for it, but it's now up to $90!

Comment

just checked on Z1, they have a better price, around $55 for the 450. It says the bolt spacing is 44 mm. Measure the spacing on the petcock screw holes, because if they are 44 mm apart, in theory anyway, the petcock from the 450 should work.

Comment

For that price, what are prices running for tanks on flea bay? (too lazy to look myself)

Comment

BB lists one for my 850 for $92 not bad. I paid $67 for one on a BB sale

Comment

I had issues with a good quality petcock kit, but I figured out what the problem was.... the metal center piece in the diaphram had the center "flexed" the opposite direction... not allowing the o-ring in the center to make contact with the recess in the petcock body.

I put it on top of an appropriate sized socket, and gave the center a light tap with punch and hammer, checked fitment, adjusted a tad more, and boom... everything works perfectly.

I agree with others... the quality of the kits can vary, but if you pay attention and pre-fit the parts, they can be made to work well.

Comment

I got a new petcock from Z1. Works well. Wasnt too expensive.

Comment

has anyone here ever gotten the K&L rebuild kit? I just ordered from the bandit, after reading this thread I fear buyers remorse coming on
                  a new K&L petcock is fairly cheap for my model, I just wanted the satisfaction of wrenching my own!

Comment

Originally posted by korrg View Post
                    has anyone here ever gotten the K&L rebuild kit? I just ordered from the bandit, after reading this thread I fear buyers remorse coming on
                    a new K&L petcock is fairly cheap for my model, I just wanted the satisfaction of wrenching my own!
                    I believe that's the one I used... It didn't work when I first got it, but I figured out why and fixed it and now it works great.

The problem was that the metal center section on the diaphragm that houses the o-ringed plug that controls fuel-flow was deflected "backwards" (hard to describe this, but I'll try...).... When at rest, the center plug and o-ring were NOT making contact with the petcock housing.

The solution was to lay the diaphragm on a large socket that just rests around the outer edge of the metal section, and use a small drift punch and hammer to gently deflect the metal the appropriate direction.

After a little test fitting and careful adjustment, everything works perfectly, and has for about a year now...

Comment

petcock rebuild

Hi, I just got a petcock rebuild kit of Ebay. It was perfect and was exactly what I needed. No leaks now. Not sure what co. it was but they had the model no. for my bike which is a 79 gs400. or so it says on the bike, im starting to think its a 78 from some of the research ive done.
                      Hope this helps,
                      Woody

Comment

just got my K&L kit today, says it's for '83-'85 gs1150 (not my bike, at all) did the petcock essentially remain the same or was I sent the wrong part?

Comment

Working...
                        X