Changing Air Box boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Air Box boots

1980 GS1000S air box boots, can they be changed/replaced without too much trouble?

Any special tools needed?

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
    1980 GS1000S air box boots, can they be changed/replaced without too much trouble?

Any special tools needed?
    If this question is related to your issue of fitting the air box you have on your CV carbs, forget about it as the "CV air box" is larger than the one you have to allow for the larger boots
    Trust me, I had the same issue...
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Changing the boots is easy under normal circumstances. My guess is you may have to dremmel the port holes in your front airbox section to open them up a little before the boots will fit. Shouldn't be too bad as long as you carefully mark the cut line before going at it.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

He is talking about replacing the boots in the correct air box for the '80 1000S.
        These are the ones with the metal sleeve that retains the boots in the box.
        Thanks for any tips.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          He is talking about replacing the boots in the correct air box for the '80 1000S.
          These are the ones with the metal sleeve that retains the boots in the box.
          Thanks for any tips.

Daniel
          Guess I'm skipping ahead too fast with my response. Sorry about that.

In another thread Vmass details how he purchased a GS1000 VM carb front airbox assembly which won't fit on his ST with CV carbs. I made the assumption that he was trying to adapt the airbox for use on his bike by installing the proper boots, which in that instance are of larger diameter than the VM boots. I think (haven't tried) that the airbox could be adapted by opening the holes, thus my response above.

In terms of changing the boots, the process involves first pushing the metal ring out and then removing the rubber boots. It may be easier to push the metal rings into the airbox. Once the ring is out, the boot itself is easy to remove.

If the intent is to rework the airbox to take the larger boots, both the larger boots and the rings will be required.

BTW, when ordering clamps for these boots from Suzuki for my own ST they sent me the wrong clamps. I think Suzuki has a mistake in their parts fishe. To get the proper clamps I had to order them from a 1000G model, which are the correct part.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I, also, would have assumed that he was going to modify the '79 air box as well.
            Thanks for the tips!

Daniel

Comment

Thanks all.... Daniel is correct. I have found the correct box that needs new boots.
              Trying to determine if these can be replaced without too much trouble, assuming the boots are available.

Comment

The rubbers are available new. For popping the metal rings in and out vaseline is your friend.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So, I think I finally have the correct air box. The boots are junk. I would appreciate a little more detail from an expert air box boot replacer!

Push the metal rings through, to the inside of the box with a large flat head?

When installing the new ones do you first put the metal ring in the boot and push it in the box as one unit?

Are the metal rings reusable?

Comment

At best its a wrestling match. Put the boots out in the sun or warm them with a hair dryer. Contrary to what everyone else says mine were a bit$h to get in but it was winter still and cold. I pushed them in with 2 screwdrivers but use larger ones so if they slip they wont punch a hole in your new boot

Comment

Hi ALL . I am waiting for my new intake boots to arrive. My airbox ( satandard one) has the rings in them.

Question is with the new boots can I leave them out or must I put them in. Why would there be different versions ie some with the rings some without?

Mine is aN 81 850 with the cv carbs.

we are having some very bad weather here at the mo with some minus celuis temps air temp and the boots I recently refitted were an absolute pig.

Thanks chaps

Comment

You need to put those ring in. If you're lucky you'll find it an ok job like me. And don't be shy about asking for Vaseline at the chemists.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

FYI: Removing the old boots was simple. The metal retaining ring is split. Simply find the split, put a flat head behind it to pry it apart, grab with a pair of plyers...Done.

I ordered new retaining rings with the boots, prior to knowing that they can be removed easily and most likely reused.

I hope to have the new parts for the weekend.

Comment

thanks hampshiredog, but what are they for?

anybody ever taken them out- what difference will it make?

Comment

The metal clips make sure that the rubber seal against the airbox is tight plus when you are installing the box / carbs the boots don't come adrift.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X