bogs under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bogs under load

so i got my hands on a 1980 gs550 for free, my problem is that i have gotten it to the point to ride down the road with about 1/4 throttle, anything past that, it bogs down to a point to where it will kill its self. when in neutral it will go up as high as i can push it.
    i have cleaned the carbs multiple times, also i haven't gotten a carb sync yet, im open carb (no filter) factory everything else...from my hours of research i know they can be "finnicy" with out it.
    i also dont know where any adjustments are, i grew up with nothing but fuel injection, in a nutshell this is my first carborated motor, i seen a picture for picture on how to tear it down and clean it, but still dont know what 1/2 of it does. help me get this thing on the road!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. sawczyn05,

You're going to have to put an airbox on the carbs or jet accordingly. See this thread about what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Then read on about what TO do.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

id put the airbox back on, but a previous owner decided to do a bobber style, or something to that matter, the bike came with alot of missing parts, and no harness, i have gotten to the point to make it work, i had plans on using k&n filters, but i have little to no clue on how to "rejet it" nor do i know adjustment points. i have done a handful of research, signing up to a forum is normally a last desperation act when i have given up on looking on the world wide web for pin pointing information that isnt just what i was looking for. :P

what i was mainly looking for, is wheres the adjustment points on the carb, and would the "bogging" be directly from the carborators them self.

Comment

Hi,

Decide what kind of air filters you are going to use, buy them, install them, and jet accordingly. There are differences between the APE, K&N, UNI, and EMGO pod filters that will require adjustments. The generally accepted wisdom, when using good pod filters and a 4-n-1 exhaust, is to buy a Dynojet Stage 3 kit. It takes out most of the guesswork.

If you don't want to go with a jet kit, then start about 4 sizes up on the mains and shim the needles to richen up the midrange. (With the Dynojet kit you get adjustable slotted needles that are easier to tune.) You might have to go up one size on the pilot jets.

But all of these adjustments must then be tested using "plug chops". You'll find the procedure documented on my website. Look on the carb sections for more information. On CV carbs there not a lot to adjust except for the idle mixture screws. In order to adjust the needles you have to remove the thick plastic washer and install some small metal washers in order to raise the needle.

Start by reading your "mega-welcome" and perusing my website to get all the background information so that you can make informed choices. You'll find manuals for your bike, your carbs, and all kinds of tutorials. Read up. Knowledge is power.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2011, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X