Impact Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact Driver

So I ordered the intake boot orings and stainless screws from Mr Barr. Went to harbor freight and bought the impact driver. I know you guys said the harbor freight bits were crappy and yes they were. Took a few swings with the mini sledge and the bit twisted. I went and bought dewalt impact grade bits but when I got home they were too small. The dewalts are 1/4 and my impact driver must be 3/8 or something. Where did you guys get the correct size impact grade bits?

heres a link to my photobucket. I took a pic of the kit i bought. http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/gs1000emt/

Comment

Sears and JCWhitney (I bought mine there, but it was years ago) have the right bits. Some of the hardware stores, such as ACE might also.

Comment

Got mine from dennis kirk. Ordered the tool and an extra set of bits at the same time. Had it for a long time. Has to be going on 20 years. Here is a link to the spare bits.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...afCatId=&mmyId=

Comment

+1 on Sears
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not crappy bits (quite on the contrary):

Comment

Ok thanks guys. I'll check my local sears and if I cant get it there then Dennis Kirk it is!

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
                So I ordered the intake boot orings and stainless screws from Mr Barr. Went to harbor freight and bought the impact driver. I know you guys said the harbor freight bits were crappy and yes they were. Took a few swings with the mini sledge and the bit twisted. I went and bought dewalt impact grade bits but when I got home they were too small. The dewalts are 1/4 and my impact driver must be 3/8 or something. Where did you guys get the correct size impact grade bits?
                If you take off the bit holder, there is a socket type square drive on the harbor freight impact driver. If you buy a 1/4" hex socket you can use the smaller bits too using the socket as the bit holder... thats what I did, and so I can use either size bits ...

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                  If you take off the bit holder, there is a socket type square drive on the harbor freight impact driver. If you buy a 1/4" hex socket you can use the smaller bits too using the socket as the bit holder... thats what I did, and so I can use either size bits ...
                  This is what I do. I haven't needed special impact driver bits yet. The ones that came with my HF driver shattered.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I wish I had seen this before I ordered my impact driver from Harbor Freight. Now I'm worried that even when the damn thing gets here I still won't be able to solve my problems of stripped screws. I hope I get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                      I wish I had seen this before I ordered my impact driver from Harbor Freight. Now I'm worried that even when the damn thing gets here I still won't be able to solve my problems of stripped screws. I hope I get lucky.
                      If the heads are already stripped, you may have to resort to other methods. Dremel a slot for a screwdriver or lock onto the head with Vise-Grips.
                      Dogma
                      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Odd. I have that driver and use it daily and have yet to break a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                          Odd. I have that driver and use it daily and have yet to break a bit.
                          Maybe they got the heat treatment right in later batches?
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Thanks bakalorz I will go that route!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              Maybe they got the heat treatment right in later batches?
                              Cheap tools are notorious for inconsistent quality, but that's the game you play - It'll probably hold up, but if doesn't, buy another and you're only out the same you would have spent on a quality piece. I wouldn't play that game with ratchets or box wrenches, etc., but impact drivers, rubber hammers, clamps, impact sockets, hell yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X