idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle issue

with the choke on, the idle sits between 3-4k, i let it sit there for a minute or two and then disengaged the choke, and the rpms would slowly fall off until it fell on its face...

i gave the carbs a quick clean recently... thinking i might have to do a much more thorough job of it.

bike is a '79 GS400

any thoughts as to what the issue is are much appreciated. thanks for your time, gents.

Yes, a thorough carb clean is a must but perhaps you are closing the choke completely too soon? I know that on my 1100gl if I start it from cold with choke all the way on if I were to let it warm completely at idle to where it would run no choke I think it would take more than a couple minutes. I usually start it up let it run on choke while gearing up then take off while still partially on choke. By my first stop sign (about a mile) I am good to shut down the choke.

Comment

that's the thing, i don't know if it's just my carb, but the choke on mine is not like others i've used before. you can't have it partially open, it's binary. either on or not.

so there is no partial choke.

when i cleaned the carb, i had it all apart and cleaned it in a parts cleaner. but one thing i didn't do (didn't actually think of it till it was all back together and didn't have time to pull it all apart again) is attempt to run through all the holes in the jet tubes (correct term?) i will do that the next chance i get which will probably be tuesday i think.

Comment

ok, pulled the bowl off again today, ran thru some things again with a pin. some of the tubes were a little mucked up so i hope things go a bit better this time haha.

Comment

Working...
        X