Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard airbox to Pods question

Hi Chaps,

did a bit of a search, and am still not sure, maybe some of you clever fella's out there would be able to help me out?

I have at the minute an 850 with standard airbox and 4 into 1 cowley. My mains are 105.

I am thinking of chucking the airbox and fitting pods... question is where should I be going in terms of jetting. ie bigger mains, smaller piolets , ect ect. just to get an idea.

What have you guys done in a case like this - have gone bigger on the mains, smaller on piolets ect ect...?

I do live at altitude.. some 1600m above sea level.
    engine is in good shape, itake rubbers and O-rings are good.

many thanks all

i am in the same place as you from what i gather you should go up 4 sizes in the main jet and 1 size on the pilot jet so a 115 main and what ever your stock pilot is add 2.5 to that number. jet sizes go up 2.5 per size for mikuni jets. then make sure you balance and do the highest idle tune. also don't buy the emgo pods make sure you get a nice set will make a big difference.

Comment

ok thanks... thats the type of info i am looking for
      cheers man!

Comment

why pods if the airbox and rubbers are good?

Comment

Sharpy's asking a very valid question. If I were you I wouldn't go down the path you're thinking about. The std airbox works well on these bikes - particularly on the 850 - and, from the limited contact I have had with Cowleys, your zorst won't need anything different in the carbs
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

it was down to frustration of the airbox side intake rubbers, but I got new ones and voila problem solved!

still I'm not clear. What sort of Jetting should I be at in my circumstance.
            Altitude 1600m with standard airbox 4 into 1 ect.

Comment

I wanted to do the pods as well, I thought it would look cool....

but the more I read the more I see folks are against the pods, especially if your airbox is good and intact, with no rips tears holes....

then again with the side covers on, I wouldn't really see the pods anyways, so it would be a mute point.

as I have been told, stick with what works...............now as for the jetting, I will stay with the original setup as well

Comment

Originally posted by RHODESIA SMITH View Post
                it was down to frustration of the airbox side intake rubbers, but I got new ones and voila problem solved!

still I'm not clear. What sort of Jetting should I be at in my circumstance.
                Altitude 1600m with standard airbox 4 into 1 ect.
                What do your plugs look like?

That's the key to your jetting needs
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X