GS750 Airbox issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Airbox issue

Hey, hey. I recently bought a 77 GS750. The guy gave me the air box, but it wasn't installed. So, I bought a K&N air filter and went to install the airbox... to my surprise the hoses dont fit on the carbs.

I've looked all over the place, but can't find any info on getting bigger ones. I thought about getting PODs, but I've heard poor reviews on going that route.
    I measure the carbs, their OD is 44mm and the airbox hoses have a 42mm ID.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas, or know where I can get bigger hoses, if they'll fit?

Have the rubbers gone hard? Somebody on here has got a great photo of how much the rubbers can shrink.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The old VM carb airbox can be a pain to refit and the hose's have a habit of going small. You can soak them in hot water that will give you the flexibility to get them back on the cards. They will need to be very warm get on mind.

From memory you can buy new hoses for the 750 airbox also.

Comment

Yeah, they're solid, I'll try that just to see if they'll fit. But I'm not even sure if the carbs are from this machine, there's something sketchy with them, I'll post a pic when I get home.

Comment

I hate that airbox. Hate it. Hate. It.

Pods are easier, but you have to shell out for the K&N, and you have to check the jetting on your carbs to deal with the added airflow.

I would crawl through broken glass naked and bathe in lemon juice before wrestling with that air box again though.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
            I hate that airbox. Hate it. Hate. It.

Pods are easier, but you have to shell out for the K&N, and you have to check the jetting on your carbs to deal with the added airflow.

I would crawl through broken glass naked and bathe in lemon juice before wrestling with that air box again though.
            Wimp

We told you to get new inlet tubes
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X