85 gs5550l no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs5550l no start

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I did a little looking but didn't find much. Basic I have a crank no start condition. I cleaned the carbs three times, they are flawless inside. I have good spark, brand new plugs. New battery as well. If I spray starting fluid at it, itl POP off but die. There is plenty of gas getting to the carbs, but nowhere from there. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks for the help.

Welcome. More detail is necessary please. The carbs are clean etc but a) what is the history, was it running before, when etc. b) is it running with a stock airbox or pods? c)have the valves been adjusted?

One thing I've noted before is to do with the base synching of the carbs. Sometimes when rebuilding them folks forget to adjust the butterflies so they are slightly open, about the width of a paper clip wire ( see the carb rebuild tutorial) at rest. If not open slightly the gas will not flow properly and you will crank like crazy and no go.

For hard starting engines (I've had a couple) I remove the airbox or pods and replace with some cling film with a small hole poked in the center. This will give an approximation of the air restriction from a properly working airbox. Next I hook on a larger battery with good cranking amps as it sometimes takes an effort to get it to fire. Crank away and it will fire if everything else is as you say i.e. spark, compression, fuel flow etc.

Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

It was sitting for two years I believe. Stock everything. Valves have not been adjusted. I'll find a tutorial myself unless someone would so generously post a link to one. I also forgot to mention, I had it running about two weeks ago. It ran pretty good but would not idle well. Let it sit while I waited for my tire and now nothing. I really appreciate the fast response and help you can give from experience. Thanks. If more info is needed ill do my best to give it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 85gs550l,

To clean them properly, you must completely disassemble the carbs. This includes the idle mixture screws. Below them is a spring, washer, and rubber O-ring. It sounds like some of the smaller passages in the carbs are still clogged. Did you dip the carb bodies in carb cleaner? Sometimes it can take a 24 hour soak to get everything cleaned. Note that these bikes usually will not run very well, if at all, unless the airbox and filter are installed and sealed properly. Any changes to the intake or exhaust systems require re-jetting of the carbs. Reference: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. It may start and idle without the airbox but as soon as you twist the throttle it will die. This is because there is too much air in the air/fuel mixture.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll check out the mixture screws, I guess I kinda forgot about those. I really appreciate the help. I may end up soaking the carbs as well.

Comment

I'm sorry to say it but if you haven't soaked the whole carbs and removed all the o-rings then. you've only done half a job. The fact that you have spark and fuel would suggest that one of the small spray passage ways is blocked hence the lack of firing.

Have you done a compression test on the engine?

Comment

Yea I figured I would try the easy rout and just clean the bottoms. Im going to soak them now tho. I need to find out where to get a carb rebuild kit because two of my mixture screws wont come out. I have not done a compression check tho. Maybe I will before spending much on the carbs.

Comment

Hi,

Do yourself a favor and don't buy "carb rebuild kits". Instead, follow the carb rebuild guides on my website and use an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com. Re-use all of the metal bits except for the broken stuff that must be replaced. Check with www.z1enterprises.com for the idle mixture screws. Click your "mega-welcome" link and read up. There's lots of good stuff there, time-tested procedures that work. I know you've got the siamese carbs, but the rebuild procedure will be similar.

About the only thing worth using in a "carb rebuld kit" is the float bowl gasket, and even that is cheap. It's best to get OEM.

BassCliff

Comment

Pull the floats, float needle, and the brass seat with the screen on it.

Start there.

If you can get fuel through these four locations, 1/2 your battle will be over...

Have you placed the petcock on PRI (prime) for a minute or so, prior to trying to start the bike?

Comment

I will definently check out the rebuild procedures and the oring kit. I know there is fuel in yhe carbs, so that's not the problem for sure.

Comment

ok.....its been a while since ive had time to get working on the bike, but heres more info. i tested compression, it has around 130 on all 4. is that good for these bikes? another question, whats a good way to remove the mixture scews from these carbs when the heads are stripped out?

Comment

What screws are stripped out? The 4 screws that are on either side of the choke plunger?

Picture please.

Alos 130 is ok across all 4 as it is likley the method you used to do the compression check that is producing a lower reading. Or the valves lash is off.

Comment

Alrighty! Got the screws out, that's taken care of. Now the big question to see who is in my are who might come to my rescue. I'm looking for someone or some place who has four good mixture screws (the ones either side of the choke plunger) and the washes and springs that go under them, and an o-ring kit. My zip code is 52002, dubuque ia. Right at the tri state point of Iowa Illinois and wisconsin. Someone within 150 miles or so, I would love to drive to them and buy their parts. And help will be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear something soon. Thanks all!

Comment

Nothin guys? Even any info on whete i can buy some and have them shipped to me?

Comment

Hi,

Did you see post #8?

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X