carb guagmire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb guagmire

I just put on the carbs on my 82 Suzuki 750 after following the recommended dipping and cleaning procedures posted on this formun .Also new o rings were installed and float levels were set to specs (22.4 mm).The only adjustment made was to the floats that before the disasembly was set at 25.2mm.
    I went riding this morning expecting a smooth operating machine after all the time,money and effort of the carb restoration .After a short time on the road and coming to a stop in city traffic the RPMs would rise to 2000, so i reset the idle to 1100rpms.The idle would not remain in preset and seemed to hover around 2000rpms then after a 15 seconds it would almost stall while stopped at traffic light.
    The motorcycle ran better before the cleaning and the only change was the float height was raised to 22.4 mm . Should I return floats to original height

Sounds like she's running weak and the way you have moved those float heights you will have made things richer. First, it's unusual for all float heights to be out so I would check that you measured correctly and in the right place. If you did everything correctly then I guess somebody else fiddled with the carbe before you.

Oh - I presume you still have the standard airbox on and the standard pipe?

The other thing to look at is your mixture screws and set using the highest idle method.
    Last edited by hampshirehog; 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Did you replace the intake boot orings and check the boots for cracks/holes? Could have a vacuum leak some place. Or the mixture isn't set right. Leave the floats at 22.4 since that's where they should be.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If the idle speed increases as the engine warms up, it almost always points to an intake leak. Recheck all your connections.

Comment

Runaway idle after warmup is also a symptom of carbs that are out of sync. If you had the carbs un-ganged (separated), the odds are pretty much 100% that you need to sync the carbs. It's possible that nothing else is wrong.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
          X