Now I'm cranking, still not starting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm cranking, still not starting.

I have solved the earlier problem of not cranking after going through and re-cleaning every connection. Now that I am cranking though, I am not starting. I have totally rebuilt the carbs and bench synced them. I removed the spark plugs and am getting spark when placed on the cylinder head. I checked the valves when I had the bike apart and everything was in spec. I do have fuel in my bowls and set the float height when rebuilding. Anyone with suggestions please help...

Forgot to mention, also did all o-rings including intake boots in the rebuild, changed to pods and installed a dynojet kid, stock exhaust.

Comment

Did you check the voltage on the battery? Maybe the sparks there but just not strong enough?

Comment

Where are your mixture screws set at?

Comment

2.5 turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom550 View Post
            Did you check the voltage on the battery? Maybe the sparks there but just not strong enough?
            12v at the battery at the moment.

Comment

They are new plugs, also.

Comment

Another thing, I just put my hands on the coils and the left one is quite warm and the right one is still room temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by afholderman View Post
                  12v at the battery at the moment.
                  What's the voltage when you hit the starter button? If it drops below 11 volts or around there it's not hot enough...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    What's the voltage when you hit the starter button? If it drops below 11 volts or around there it's not hot enough...
                    Bingo, drops to 8v. New battery then?

Comment

Probably. The resting voltage should be more than 12V, more like 12.7V. You've been working the battery so put it on a charger first though. Turn on the lights and ignition and measure the voltage drop, which should be in the 0.5V range (without starting).

Check your voltage drop at the coils. If you're losing more than a volt or so over battery voltage you should consider a coil relay mod.

Comment

I have done the coil relay mod. The battery is currently hooked to a charger so I will test it again in the morning. Thank you everyone for the help.

Comment

Alright I picked up a new battery today and am now getting 11v when cranking. The bike will stumble if I spray carb cleaner into it and have the choke all the way out and the mixture screw at 5 turns out. I have the dynojet kit installed so I can adjust jets and the needle if needed.

Comment

Working...
                          X