78 gs750 Air Box Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs750 Air Box Question

Another question about this wonderful bike. The stock airbox is missing the rubber intake on the back of it so it is basically just a metal box to look good.. Bought a KN filter as the other one was a rats nest. The bike is running to lean and wont get past 6 or 7k at WOT. It does have stock exhaust. Carbs have been cleaned and valves checked. Does that rubber intake on the back create enough resistance to make it run like shazit with it gone?
    Brian

ps: i did drop the washers on the needles and it had no effect....

Originally posted by sparkey View Post
    Does that rubber intake on the back create enough resistance to make it run like shazit with it gone?
    Brian
    Yes. Try going up 2 sizes on your main jets. One might be enough.

Daniel

Comment

With poor running at high rev's indicates that the mains are too small in that set up. I dont know how far a jet to go up too, sorry.

Comment

do these look like the right ones? I will probably try 120's or maybe a jet kit with multiple sizes so i have them all to try out..
        I might as well buy a set of pod air cleaners for it seein it is kind of one big pod right now..

Comment

Save yourself some grief and find a replacement snorkel. If you don't, be prepared to experiment with all the jet circuits before it will run sweetly again.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            Save yourself some grief and find a replacement snorkel. If you don't, be prepared to experiment with all the jet circuits before it will run sweetly again.
            Found one on ebay for 35 bucks. what a rip off i will fab something up for that price. I dont mind experimenting with different jets. As a matter of fact when i took the carbs apart they had 3 different needle heights. So i am in for experimentation anyway... (these were carbs that were bought from a parts yard and not originally on this bike.)

Comment

Debunking the snorkel MYTH...The snorkles ONLY FUNCTION is to make the airbox get its air from above the swingarm and inner fender mud flap..If theres just an open hole then road slop can get sucked in easier than if the air is drawn in from above. It has absoutely no effect on anything other than that. Now for some advice from someone who has both the B and E models.. Go to BASSCLIFF WEBSITE and choose the 750 ( 8 valve ) service manual down load. Page 16 has the stock jet sizes. The clip will go on the CENTER groove on the needles. Check all the numbers from the manual to what your carbs currently have in them. Set the pilot screw ( on the bottom ) at 1 1/4 out. I know it says 1 in the manual but trust me here. Then set the MIXTURE screw ( on the side ) at 1 1/2 out. This will get your basic set up and the bike will start right up. Be sure that a proprly done bench sync is done before installing them.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-22-2011, 08:20 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Debunking the snorkel MYTH...The snorkles ONLY FUNCTION is to make the airbox get its air from above the swingarm and inner fender mud flap..If theres just an open hole then road slop can get sucked in easier than if the air is drawn in from above. It has absoutely no effect on anything other than that. Now for some advice from someone who has both the B and E models.. Go to BASSCLIFF WEBSITE and choose the 750 ( 8 valve ) service manual down load. Page 16 has the stock jet sizes. The clip will go on the CENTER groove on the needles. Check all the numbers from the manual to what your carbs currently have in them. Set the pilot screw ( on the bottom ) at 1 1/4 out. I know it says 1 in the manual but trust me here. Then set the MIXTURE screw ( on the side ) at 1 1/2 out. This will get your basic set up and the bike will start right up. Be sure that a proprly done bench sync is done before in stalling them.

Sounds good.
                Another question then: Why even have an airbox (that everyone on this site tells us to seal it up with no leaks at all!) if a big gaping 1 foot 2 inch hole in the back doesnt mean anything.
                What you are saying is that no-one need to re-jet after putting pods on it, which basically is what I have right now.
                It has stock jets and needles and have set all the screws up to no avail.
                Brian

Comment

Sounds good.
                  Another question then: Why even have an airbox (that everyone on this site tells us to seal it up with no leaks at all!) if a big gaping 1 foot 2 inch hole in the back doesnt mean anything.
                  What you are saying is that no-one need to re-jet after putting pods on it, which basically is what I have right now.
                  It has stock jets and needles and have set all the screws up to no avail.
                  Brian
                  The snorkel provides a specific air inlet area. Without the snorkel, the hole is bigger and you get a lean mixture. Block off the hole too much and you get a rich mixture. True, you do not need the snorkel for the bike to run IF you keep the same size intake hole in the airbox as you would have had with the snorkel. As said, it does help to keep the intakes from ingesting road dust and crap.

Earl
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

By " sealded off" It means the gaskets on the cvoers are secured and all the seams that make up the box structure are sealed with some silicone or whatever sealer you choose. This makes the airbox draw air from..and only from..that gapping hole in the back. And Earl. I ran my 77 without the snorkel for nearly a year before I realised there was something missing. And yes this was my first gs. I got a snorkle and insatlled it and it didnt change any setting or effect the running in any way..nuttin nodda. I call BULLCHIT!!!
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

gonna try some experimental duct tape to make the hole smaller till it runs good. I do have a snorkel from my 850 but it is way too big..

Bullchit has been called watch out! lol

Comment

The overall thickness of the rubber is around 1 MM..Now the boot has a groove in the bottom that the airbox metal slips into..right? Well do you really think that decreaseing the edges of that hole by 1mm really matters..Not. I am seriuos here...dont even waste your time or the tape. Go to the bikecliff site and be sure you have the 100 mains and the 5F21-3 needles and set up the carbs as i told you.. it will start right up, and have more response and power than youve ever known it had. But then again you can fall for this witch doctory and waste your time..your call.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          By " sealded off" It means the gaskets on the cvoers are secured and all the seams that make up the box structure are sealed with some silicone or whatever sealer you choose. This makes the airbox draw air from..and only from..that gapping hole in the back. And Earl. I ran my 77 without the snorkel for nearly a year before I realised there was something missing. And yes this was my first gs. I got a snorkle and insatlled it and it didnt change any setting or effect the running in any way..nuttin nodda. I call BULLCHIT!!!
                          Chuck, it would depend on where and how the snorkel was cut off. If you cut the end, it wouldnt change anything. If you cut a hole in the airbox and around the base of the snorkel, it will make a big difference. I did say that there would be no difference IF the throughflow area remained as original didn't I?

If air intake area made no difference, then all those guys that removed their air boxe, installed pods and rejetted for no reason are going to be miffed.

Earl

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

This is not a small little hole we are talkin about here. It is the almost same length as the filter and half as wide, you look in there and can see the whole filter from one angle. It is a K&N filter besides so it has less draw than a stock one in the first place.
                            Maybe i should just buy pods and rejet and the myth and ambiguity about the airbox will go away.. =)

Comment

This is not a small little hole we are talkin about here. It is the almost same length as the filter and half as wide, you look in there and can see the whole filter from one angle. It is a K&N filter besides so it has less draw than a stock one in the first place.
                              Maybe i should just buy pods and rejet and the myth and ambiguity about the airbox will go away.. =)

Just run it and check the spark plug colors.

Earl

Comment

Working...
                              X