VM26 fuel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM26 fuel lines

I was tearing my carbs down to clean and my fuel lines basically disintegrated. The fuel T is fine for the most part, there is a small tear in the rubber, but it is beyond the little o-ring/lip on it so I think it would be fine to reuse. However, the other two lines have just crumbled. In the PDF it says I will likely have to fab some, but I have no idea how. Would a simple straight line with a tight clamp be enough, or do I have to work something up that has the o-rings and what not? If there's a thread with this question in it already, sorry, my laptop got very angry and didn't show results when I tried searching. Ty in advance.

Oh, and one more thing. If anyone has a clue on what to do about a missing jet needle spring, that'd be awesome. I looked at a rebuild kit on CRC, but I don't know if it has one or not and what's more is that most people here say the springs are tensioned right anyhow. Am I forced to buy a whole new carb body just to get a decent spring for my slide assembly?? This project is getting more and more depressing as I go on.

Comment

I have spare springs. Drop me a PM with the dimensions and I'll dig around for one for you.

Regarding the other parts, I'm struggling to understanding what you are referring to. Please take some photos when you have problems like this, post them on photobucket, and then link the [img] code here so we can see the photo in high resolution. I also have other spare parts but not sure about those you are referring to.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

*wipes sweat off forfehead* Found the spring! It had fallen into a bucket of water that got pitched into the grass and foud the spring underfoot. Talk about luck. Ty for the offer anyway Nessism. I will take photos of my crumbled lines though and post them later.

Comment

Okay so I finally got around to taking pictures of my disintegrated fuel lines. One is mostly there, but in pretty rough shape. I doubt it will make it much longer if clean my carbs on a regular basis. The other one is missing an entire half and the other half is on it's way to the grave also. Here's a pic of what I'm jabbering about:

I went and bought some fuel line hoping I could just slip it over the metal tubing and cram it in and it would work, but the diameter is just too fat to allow it all to fit properly. Am I going to have to find a diameter that works and just settle for this jury rigged setup, or is there a better way? As far as I can tell these lines are no longer made, so ordering new is not much of an option. I've found hardly anything for these old carbs on ebay too, so cannibalizing an old one seems out of the question too. Anyone have a worth while and reliable work around?

Comment

VM 26s are very common carbs...maybe someone will have the metal ones that require the Orings..Thats the best way to resolve future problems i would think..replace them with the metal tees and transfer tubes.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That's a relief to hear. The o-ring type, do they still make them? I'll just look later. Just knowing that there is a good way to go about it makes this easier to deal with.

The T is still in pretty good shape yet. It'd likely be replaced too if I find something to do it with. These little setbacks are really adding up and frustrating me. I suppose it's part of the price to play with a 30 year old machine though eh?

Comment

I dont know if anyones making them anymore. My point was that maybe someone here has a parts set layingbaround and will scavange them for you...Robert Barr ( his user name here too ) has the full oringb kits for like 18.00. Throw an add up in parts wanted..and maybe shoot a PM off to knowyourenemy...AJ usually has a good supply of carbie parts. Roberts company email is CYCLEORINGS.COM
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Awesome, thanks Chuck.

Comment

I have one metal crossover tube that takes O-rings. It's 41mm long and the outside diameter on the O-ring is 11mm (8.2mm at the base of the O-ring). Will this fit your bike?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll have to get to measure that Nessism. Could be a few days since I don't live where I keep the bike and I'm not there right now. If it does I'll PM though. Ty.

Comment

Call Sudco, Z1 Enterprises, Sirius Consolidated..just to name the most popularly used here.. a few calls and you may be in..if not maybe they can pass along a lead or two for you..

Comment

Will do. Thanks again to both of you.

Comment

Hey Gonzo.. there is another thread with the same issue.
                            I found a guy on ebay selling a brass replacement T and the two straight pieces and I think my total with shipping for all three was $30
                            They have the replaceable o-rings as well.

Comment

I seen that. Couldn't have been timed better. I swear I checked Z1 before I posted, but I guess I skimmed over the lines I needed. I had seen the T, but missed the crossover. Got em now though. Should be here in 3 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X