79 GS1000 petcock rebuild, diaphram help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000 petcock rebuild, diaphram help

I have another string down below, but I have a major leak with my petcock, after using a rebuild kit. the leak is between the spacer& petcock backing plate.there is no gasket between them to seal it from leaking. the diaphragm has 2 rubber diaphrams together, 1 with the small hole in it, that aligns with the other small holes on the petcock & spacer. am I missing a gasket to seal the spacer to the back plate of the petcock? Or do the diaphram(s) separate some how, and the one with the small hole goes into the petcock itself with the small o-ring on the tip, then the spacer, then the other diaphram. this is driving me Kookoo! 15 years this bikes Benny apart, and this 1 thing is holding me up.can a knowledgeable person here give the the correct info here so I can wrap this up. Thanks!

The spacer, (square block) fits in between the two diaphrams (as you put it). The inner side with the little O ring goes to the inside of petcock.
    Also, you must line up those little holes on the diaphram and spacer block, this then lines up with the hole that leads to the outside of the petcock on the other side of the backing plate (that little hole needs to be free of any obstruction as it lets the diaphram breathe/vent).
    I would say that hole is closest to the upper right screw of the four screws that hold on the backplate (as you view the petcock from the front). If your petcock isn't clean you may miss seeing it. I use WD-40 to lubricate everything, once I clean the petcock in gasoline.
    Once you get everything together, very carefully attach the diaphram/spacer/spring/backplate with the 4 screws, tighten the backing plate screws, but not completely, leave just enough play so you can move the diaphram/block/ backplate somewhat as to let the diaphram and block find it's own alignment, once that is done tighten each screw alternatively a little at a time until its secured.
    I also shoot a little WD-40 in the vacuum nipple, as there's a check valve in there. No dry assemblies!
    Hope this helps.
    I've had success rebuilding these old petcocks. The thing that caused the most failures was that little vent hole being clogged, and the petcock would never shut off completely in the on and reserve position.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

The question is do the 2 diaphragms that are together separate, and the one goes on each side of the spacer, or when the 2 diaphrams are together, you dome how get the spacer in-between them. I'm just not getting it with the info on BikeCliffs web site.

Comment

Here's a petcock rebuild tutorial from BikeCliff's web-site.

Has Pic's! You may want to stop what you're doing and read this FIRST.

sigpic
        Steve

Comment

It's one diaphram "assembly." You have to very carefully pull one section with four screw holes on it through the spacer block hole so that you end up with a spacer block with a diaphram on each side of it. Make sure the hollow cirular part of the spacer block faces toward the outside, line up the holes, attach to the backplate in the proper position, make sure those little holes in the spacer block and diaphram mate up to that little vent hole by the upper right backplate attaching screw (as you look at the petcock from the front.)
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            Here's a petcock rebuild tutorial from BikeCliff's web-site.

Has Pic's! You may want to stop what you're doing and read this FIRST.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ck_rebuild.pdf
            Thank you. That picture was just what I needed to see. Now my petcock works.

Comment

Well, i got the bike back together. i started it up, and it was running a bit ruff. so i took it to a highly reguarded older bike mechanic, and i got the call the other day that it's ready to go, and runs great. i'm thrilled! it's been 15 years since it last ran, in 1996.
              I am going to put her up for sale in the not to distant future, but, i can not find the pink slip any place. i have it, just can't locate it. i will probably have to order another one before it goes up for sale.
              I am not going to list it here. i had it out here on these forums for sale last year, and some of the folks here kind of trashed my bike. i didn't appreciate that! i am the original owner. i purchased the bike new on July 4th weekend in 1979, in San Jose,California, where i was living at the time. i now live in the central valley of California. it's 32 years old for crying out loud. it's not perfect. it does not have the original ignition system in it. it has an "Accel" system (breaker plate & points,wires,and coils). i need to get a replacement windscreen. if anyone knows where to get one, please contact me, so i can get one. it also has a vibration crack right down the center of the front of the front fender, about an inch & a half long. the tank has a few scratches, a couple of rust spots down low on the lip of the tank at the very bottom, and has a small dent or 2. i put a new Electrex regulator/rectifier & stator in it. the reason it was apart for so long. it has brand new tires,chain, spark plugs,oil,air & oil filters,handlebar grips,and battery.
              I will have it for sale out in cyber space some place, but, i'm not going to give it away! if your interested, send me a PM offer, but be prepared to pay a bit more than you might expect. if you look for it in cyber space, you'll have to hunt it down, or PM me. i want this bike to go to someone that will referb what it needs back to be the way it should be in stock form, so it's around for someone else, and others to enjoy for many years to come. i won't sell it has a "parts" bike. it needs to be like it was new. it deserves it! it's been a great bike for me all the years i rode it. i rode with my buds that all had Norton Commandos, and i would just leave them in the dust every time! never left me stranded at any time. i will provide pics to those that are serious about the purchase. i don't have time for critics.Thanks for listening.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Seems like no one saw my last post the other day. Another SN model is on the road again. read the details. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X