Pinging When Hot Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks,

I've learned that even if you think a certain bit of info is irrelevant, post it up anyway. These guys really know their stuff.

Comment

So I've been riding the 1100 with the settings of post #11 and keep using 89 to 93 octain for a short while, (a week or so). All seems well in the world. Not exactly perfect, but pretty good.

In the mean time I made a windsheild for it. opinions welcome........good or bad.....it was an experiment....... sorry for the crappy cell pic...........

Comment

OK, I simply kept going up on the main jet till I was able to see some better color on the plugs. It seems odd to me that the center 2 cylinders look richer than the outer two. All 4 carbs are set the same as far as float hight, turns out, main and pilot jets, and needle hight. The center 2 plugs have a dark brown insulators while the outer 2 still have some white.

Before I go adjusting all over the place for each cylinder, is this normal for these engines?

Stock, (and sealed), airbox with K&N, stock head pipes with crossover, aftermarket Emgo mufflers.

Comment

What impact have the larger mains had one performance and mileage? I have very similar symptoms on my all-stock 1000GT, and would love to find a cure (other than keeping the revs above about 4.5k).
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dogma,
            All is well in the world as far as how it runs. Still get 38 to 45 MPG. Pulls consistant throughout the rpm range, a little soft below 3000rpm if you really whack it. If you just kind of roll on it at low, (idle to 3k or less), it has plenty of grunt. It works itself REAL nice with a smooth roll of the throttle. It gets scary when you're doing full throttle roll ons to like 5 or 6k past 3rd gear. You're going pretty fast, (60-70 MPH). Way fast enough for me with 2 more gears to go.

You can hear the lean outside cylinders softly popping on decel. Not bad, just a random puff or 2 here and there. That's what made me take all 4 plugs out.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
              I have left everything as is,( mixture screws at 2-1/2 turns, needles at .040" raised, float level dead in the middle of spec), but went another step up on the main jets from 115's to 117.5's. The profuse pinging is gone!!!! I'm guessing I still have to pick the needles up 1 shim because I get just a hint of ping on initial throttle at lower RPM's. Like when you're puttering down a country road at 40MPH in high gear then hit the throttle hard. It just goes, ping-ping-ping, then takes off.

Thank you all again...........
              I am a bit curious!!

The pinging was when the motor was coming onto the needles and changing the main jet to one size larger fixed the problem. I would have thought that if the needles were just raised enough to emit more fuel then the main jets would not be restricting the amount of fuel getting to the needles. I thought the main jets would only really be required to supply full fuel supply at 3/4 to full throttle.

Any suggestions or explanations.

Comment

Suzuki Don,

Not sure if this answers your question/curiocity or not, but just more info on how I chose my remedy.

The factory plastic shim thing on top of the needle is .100" give or take. Through the extensive knowledge from all here, the Radio Shack washers are .020" give or take. With 117.5 mains, I only had 2 washers on top of the needles leaving me at .060" rich from stock. Even with the needles at this setting, the plugs still had white insulators. The base ring was on the rich side at 2-3/4 turns out with the pilot screws.

I went to 120 mains, put one more washer on the needles,(bringing me to .040" rich from stock), and closed up the pilots from 2-3/4 to 2-1/2 turns out. That gave me the results mentioned in the latest post, (#18).

Can't say if it's right or not, but that's how I got to where I am. Any other suggestions are humblly welcome.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Don thanks for the reply and info.

The reason I ask is because I have a similar problem with my bike. Pinging just I come on the needles. I too have raised the needles but only by .040" and have one size larger main jet, 100 in place of the 97.5 jet.

I am fitting a Dynatek DS3-1 in place of the points this weekend hopefully. I tried retarding the points plate a bit but the engine idled more roughly so I put it back where it was.

Still looking for answers.

Comment

Don,

Electronic timing on mine, therefore, unadjustable without slotting the mounting holes.

All things being equal, I started at 115 mains and ended up at 120's. I think the Suzuki jet numbers are in a flow rate of some sort. Anyway. I changed by 5. I don't know how the numbers increase, but if you were to increase yours by five, you'd end up at 102.5. I know, here in the US, that size exists. That's what's in the center 2 cylinders of my 550.

You may want to try that and leave your needles where they are. You may even have to drop the needles down a smidge as well as lean out your pilot circuit by 1/2 turn or more.

Good luck and let me know of your progress.

We may be able to answer each others questions along the way and we'll both have properly tuned bikes. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                      Don,

Good luck and let me know of your progress.

We may be able to answer each others questions along the way and we'll both have properly tuned bikes. LOL
                      Yes that would be great to have a smooth, strong pulling motorcycle which powers out of corners without pinging coming from the top end. haha

Comment

Working...
                      X