Pinging When Hot Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinging When Hot Out

Need some help with my 82 1100G from the all-mighty gurus.

First off, I have an unusual circumstance with this bike. The po had put a different series set of carbs on it. The correct carbs are 49400, the carbs on it are 49380 from an 83 E, (16V). I've been working my way through it step by step but I'm now at a point where I think I need some guidance.

As the title of the thread suggests, it pings as soon as I get on the needles when warmed up, (after 15-20 min riding), and hot out. When it's still warming up, (first 5-10 min), it does not ping.

Things I have done/experimented with:

Richen idle circuits
    leaned idle circuits
    needles up
    needles down
    93 octain Sunoco
    93 octain Sunoco with lucas octain booster
    checked to see if the po slotted the sig-gen plate to advanced the timing
    searched the carb/fuel/exhaust posts
    searched the electrical/ignition posts

Remaining things to try

put new plugs of same heat range in
    try one step cooler plugs

Thanks in advance fellas...............................

Have you check compression, in case PO was in pursuit of more power? This pinging ( probably early detonation ) is bad news.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is it running perfectly other than the pinging? Or is it a little down on power/gas mileage? The detonation could also be due to a lot of carbon in the combustion chambers, or a partially clogged exhaust.
      My friend in Texas had a similar problem on his 1100GK, don't think he ever did find the culprit. But I can ask him.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tom203,
        Have not checked since winter. Then,(in the basement with carbs off), was in the mid 120's and none seemed out of whack from any other.

tkent02,
        Runs AWESOME except the pinging, (only when it's hot out/engine is hot). Have to nix the carbon and exhaust thing. I had the head off to do valve seals over the winter so obviously cleaned head and tops of pistons. I know for a fact that the exhaust is clear because I cut the stock mufflers off and put a set of emgo stock looking, but a little louder than stock sounding, ones on.

I'm leaning toward carb settings or fuel delivery because for the first 5 minuits or so it does not ping at all, (even if i'm at 1200-1500 RPM and slam the throtle open). When it pings, it pings any time I get on the needles.

Not quite sure if being lean would cause pinging or being rich would do it. That's where I'm stuck................

************************************************** ****************************************

EDIT FOR UPDATE
        (Was tinkering before I posted and got it to ping. Let it set a bit while I was posting the above then took it for a spin. Diddn't ping after coolong off.)
        Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I thought pingiing can be caused by a lean condition or an ignition that's advanced too much, but thats coming from a guy who has his own carb. issues.

Comment

Forgot to mention in my response to tkent02. I get around 43-45 MPG.

Comment

Thanks Steve,
              I knew about the timing thing, but without "fooling around with stuff" the ignition is stock, therefore "unadjustable".

I did go 1 size up on the main, (from 112.5 to 115), and the needles are shimmed up about .040" from stock.

Comment

It sounds like an air leak and/or lean condition
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Have you checked the carb intake boots. I had problems with my 850 pinging A new set of boots cured the problem..

Comment

BigT,

Could be lean. Insulators of plugs could be darker, (kind of off white/light grey). I have done the " spray" tecnique on the intake boots, choke plungers, diaphram caps, airbox boots (carb and airbox ends), all is good there. Intake boots, o-rings, all clamps, airbox boots, all new from Suzuki and sealed the airbox over the winter.

From all of your gracious responses, I'm beginning to think I need to go even bigger on the mains. At least to try anyway. They're pretty cheap at $2.00 or $4.00 each.

Keep em coming guys.........thank you!!!

Comment

I have left everything as is,( mixture screws at 2-1/2 turns, needles at .040" raised, float level dead in the middle of spec), but went another step up on the main jets from 115's to 117.5's. The profuse pinging is gone!!!! I'm guessing I still have to pick the needles up 1 shim because I get just a hint of ping on initial throttle at lower RPM's. Like when you're puttering down a country road at 40MPH in high gear then hit the throttle hard. It just goes, ping-ping-ping, then takes off.

Thank you all again...........

Comment

Too rich cannot cause pinging, too lean (for whatever reason) can.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but what grade of gas are you using?

Comment

Thanks tkent002.

Runningdog,
                            See first post with list of " have done".

Comment

Got it........this is almost a tutorial on what to look for if faced with pinging...glad you're thorough.

Comment

Working...
                              X