VM Carbs, connector tubes shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carbs, connector tubes shot

I'm helping a local friend get a 1979 GS1000 running, and when we hooked up a tank the carbs leaked like crazy from the fuel tube junctions. No surprise, since they were the rubber sleeve type, and I read in the VM Carb rebuild tut that these often leak after a while. He hadn't even pulled them apart, but now that he has he said the rubber "o-ring" sleeve was torn.

But I'm not seeing a source for new replacements. Anyone have a source for an acceptable replacement part? Or a method for fabricating one? Pretty sure we'll need both the "T" and the two straight connectors.

I'm trying to get him on the straight & narrow (i.e. full rebuild, Robert Barr's o-rings and intake o-rings, etc) but finding these tubes is a must regardless.

Help me help a brother out, don't want him to give up too early on a scorching ride.

Thanks!

Try the links below from z1 enterprises. I have not tried these yet but will likely need to at the next rebuild.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
    1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
    1970 Honda C70

Comment

here you go:

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Before Z1 started handling the replacement tubes, I used to use Plastidip, the stuff you dip plier handles in to rubberize them. Plug both ends dip them in only once and let dry. Theyve been in there 5 years. I guess Id get thre replaceable o-ring ones from Z1 now though, A can will late your lifetime and the next guys too

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
          Before Z1 started handling the replacement tubes, I used to use Plastidip, the stuff you dip plier handles in to rubberize them. Plug both ends dip them in only once and let dry. Theyve been in there 5 years. I guess Id get thre replaceable o-ring ones from Z1 now though, A can will late your lifetime and the next guys too

I have used heat shrink tubing over the rubber ends in the same manner. It seemed to work good, but did make the process of re-installing the fuel pipe joints fairly difficult. Never had a leak when the carbs were in service.

That said, the o-ring versions look like the ticket. Just slap on some new o-rings if you ever get a leak.

Comment

You guys rock! Thanks!

Apologies, can't believe I didn't think of Z1. Course, they have one of those websites you kinda just need to read for fun in your spare time so you know what they have.

I'd go for the metal replacements, but I'm guessing he'll try the plastidip first.

As much as I want to, I'm not sure I'll convince him to go through the whole GSR carb rebuild procedure. I just want to eliminate the carbs as the srouce of any future starting problems. But we'll see. Maybe I'll volunteer to take the carbs home and rebuild 'em myself.

Comment

I was having no luck finding these and a local bike shop told me to soak them in brake fluid.
              After soaking them, they seem to fit tighter, but after discovering this thread, I'm going to just replace them.
              I still have my carbs off, waiting for a choke lifter to arrive, so I've found these just in time.

Thanks heaps for the info and link.

Comment

Check the bottom of this page left hand picture

is this not what you need ?

here is the picture as well

EDIT - never mind your looking for the sleeve, not the O ring

Comment

I purchased the replacement tubes and tee just a little while ago.
                  Hopefully I can get all my parts in by midweek and fire it up by the weekend.

Comment

Archive tip

Steve posted that he had used teflon tape successfully. I tried a couple of different methods but the teflon tape worked best and it still holding fine. Mine only needed one wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                      I purchased the replacement tubes and tee just a little while ago.
                      Hopefully I can get all my parts in by midweek and fire it up by the weekend.
                      The connectors from Z1 are ace, however the o-rings that come with them ain't. If you've bought an o-ring set from Robert Barr it comes with replacements.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                      X