shims for needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shims for needles

My 1983 GS750T has a minor flat spot around 2500 rpm. The carbs were cleaned and rebuilt using the BassCliff website. Bike runs great otherwise. I've heard that if the needles aren't adjustable they can be shimmed to make the bike run a liile richer, which I think would cure the problem. The bike is totally stock and has 13500 miles on it. Any thoughts out there on this? thanks for your input, Steve.

shim the needles... radio shack sells a bag of assorted flat washers - you have to show the pimple-faced kid where they are - in a drawer in the back with all the terminals.

That bag contains the #4 washers you want (hard to find them separately). Each washer is about .022' thick.

Replace the plastic spacer that currently resides on top of your needles with 2 washers - this will raise your needles approx. .055" (assuming your spacer is .100" thick). Use 3 washers to raise the needles approx. .033".

You get the idea - I raised the needled on my '81 750 using 2 washers & it made a bi9g difference, I also up'ed the mains one size to as i was running a K&N drop in air filter in the sealed airbox too...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
    X